Non-Nuclear Density Meter For Slurry

Does anybody know of a non-nuclear in-line continuous density meter suitable for abrasive mining slurry? At the moment our requirement is for a 4" (100mm) diameter.
Our customer wants to go 'green' and cannot abide with the surveys and test requirements of nuclear devices, safety officer costs, as well as cost of nuclear source transport and disposal.
We tried ultrasonic density devices, but above 10% solids we needed to damp so much the response time was unacceptable, besides which the damped signal was far from the true average.
We tried microwave techniques, but the slurry conductivity was too high and the slurry dielectric constant was far from constant....a prerequisite for such systems.
Thanks for any input, Austin Bell

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    What is the maximum response time that can be accepted? Many of the ultrasonic meters meters can handle up to 3KG/L.
    Is this of any use?
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Austin Bell
    Austin Bell
    bioramani
    What is the maximum response time that can be accepted? Many of the ultrasonic meters meters can handle up to 3KG/L.
    Is this of any use?
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Thank you for your response.
    My information is that above 10% dry solids the ultrasonic density meter has to be damped so much that it becomes impractical. With a water carrier liquid and typical solids sg of 2.5, then 10% dry solids translates to an sg of 1.06.
    We are hoping for a max response time of 1 minute, but with an accuracy of not worse than plus/minus 1%. What do you think.
    Austin Bell
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Austin Bell
    Thank you for your response.
    My information is that above 10% dry solids the ultrasonic density meter has to be damped so much that it becomes impractical. With a water carrier liquid and typical solids sg of 2.5, then 10% dry solids translates to an sg of 1.06.
    We are hoping for a max response time of 1 minute, but with an accuracy of not worse than plus/minus 1%. What do you think.
    Austin Bell
    Sorry for a delayed response. Been tied up in work and also indisposed for a few days.
    Some of the instruments on the market seem to have the needed specs. Have you looked at this?
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    You can download the PDF file on thedetailed specs and characteristics.
  • Eric Lamar
    Eric Lamar
    Has anyone heard of SCIAM? Our company is about to start a long term extensive project in South Africa and are also in search of an accurate and cost efficient NON-nuclear meter.

Took a brief look at their website #-Link-Snipped-# - had very little information regarding current applications and uses.

However their claims of their product seems almost too good to be true.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The principle appears to be radically different from the usual transducers. I appears that thre is a flexible tube of definite volume whose weight is continuously monitored by a weight transducer external to this but housed within the external housing. We know that weighing scales are quite accurate. Pleast note that the installation requires that the instrument must be horizontal, which is necessary if weight transducers are used.
    If this understanding is correct, the claims may be justified. Looks promising to me.
  • Marius de Vries
    Marius de Vries
    For monitoring density and SG in abrassive slurries in mining industry, better choose for the ceramic sensors from Arenal PCS: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Mining expert
    Mining expert
    I stumbled over this post while surfing the web. A bit late, but maybe others still read this as well so:

You should look into Alia Instruments | HOME They offer a good product which has good accuracy, but also has no problems with air bubbles etc.

Good luck!
  • Rosie Moth
    Rosie Moth

Actually, looking at it - Alia instruments has copied the methodology of SCIAM which was proven to be unsuccessful (and also monstrously large.) They seem to be replicating a lot of the old SCIAM content which has since been abandoned. 

• Frank  Santiesteban
    Frank Santiesteban

Austin

My name is Frank Santiesteban I'm with red meters a manufacturer of Non Nuclear density meter please visit our website and you will see the technical information about our product. I can be reach at f.santiesteban@redmeters.com

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi Guys, I made my BE Project Report in Latex. Made a template for the same. Here's the link. Hope this will help others to create beautiful and well written...
As we guessed earlier, Google drive is now official with 5 GB of free storage space, which can be easily upgraded to more if you choose to pay for the...
Google has officially launched the cloud storage product, called Google Drive that offers up to 5GB of free space. Mac, Windows and Android clients are currently available but a lot...
Now that Google Drive is official, it's evident that Google's taking Dropbox head-on; with lower pricing, integration with Google Docs, more free space and so on. Google has invested a...
And can please anybody share their experience or their friends'