Nokia Ozo Advanced Virtual Reality Camera Captures 360 Degree Videos

The 150 year old Finnish company that was bought by Microsoft said at that time that they are hanging their shoes in cell phone industry so that they can work ‘innovative technologies’. But nothing was revealed about the field in which Nokia had started working. Just when everyone thought that Nokia was down and out for good, it has stepped back up and has stepped up very strongly. In an event held for the entertainment industry in Las Vegas, Nokia announced Ozo, a next-gen camera that can capture audio and video in 360 degrees.

The Ozo has a number of advantages over the current virtual reality (VR) camera. Firstly, it provides the feature of live monitoring. With the earlier VR cameras, the footage shot using the camera had to be stitched together before it could be viewed. This process takes hours to complete. But with Ozo, using the VR headset, it is possible to monitor the recording because it provides a low resolution video for playback within a few minutes of recording.

ozo_nokia_virtual_reality_camera

As evident in the image above, Ozo is a spherical ball-like structure which weighs around 6 pounds and has eight optical image sensors all over it that allows it to record in all the directions. The audio too is captured in all the three directions with the eight microphones implanted in the cameras. The output of this is that just like in real life, in VR too, the audio helps you locate in space. This means that if you hear a voice coming from behind you, then if you look behind, you will locate the source of the voice.

Ozo can be mounted on a standard tripod and used. The output is the video in standard format which can be viewed using a VR headset or like the 3D video is viewed on a site like YouTube.

The reason that the camera was introduced in a showbiz event was that the camera is made for the Hollywood film industry, the advertising industry and the media. The camera won’t be available for the general public. The camera is expected to cost somewhere in five figures. A formal launch of the camera along with the availability and exact pricing is expected to happen sometime between September and December.

Via: Nokia reveals Ozo, a futuristic new camera for filming virtual reality - The Verge

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What is the physical significance of liftering done to an analog signal (particularly an audio signal)? What is its role pertaining to MFCC feature extraction process?
Hi, Once I have logged in to the SQL server, I am supposed to create my own database. Then this database is to contain tables etc. pertaining to my project....
I am studying civil engineering in 7th sem can I apply for IES 2016?
One more opensource mobile OS is in heavy development, Plasma Mobile from KDE team which has delivered us an awesome desktop environment. ​
Hii, I got seat for dac in IACSD Pune,aug 15 batch but now they sent me assignment (20 c programs mainly data structured) which should be submitted at reporting day.....