Nissan's Self Driving Cars To Be Ready By 2020 - Autonomous Would Be The Rulers

Nissan, the Japanese multinational automaker, is here with some awesome news. The company has promised to bring in the market the first "commercially-viable" self-driving car by 2020. Whoa! The last time we checked, Google was in news for itsGoogle's Self-Driving Car Travels 300,000 Miles Without Any Accidentthat travels 300,000 miles without any accident. It was a great achievement but with many shortcomings. The user was required to enter an address in Google maps, after which the system gathers information from Google Street View and combines it with artificial intelligence software, but it could not respond to dynamic situations and thus was not able to deal with snow covered roads or under-construction ones. Anyway, coming back to what Nissan has to offer. The company has said that it will be launching several vehicles will come equipped with its Autonomous Drive technology. That is something to be proud about.

"In 2007 I pledged that – by 2010 – Nissan would mass market a zero-emission vehicle. Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn said in the announcement. Today, the Nissan LEAF is the best-selling electric vehicle in history. Now I am committing to be ready to introduce a new ground-breaking technology, Autonomous Drive, by 2020, and we are on track to realize it." Nissan has begun working with dozens of research and educational institutions to make autonomous vehicles a reality, including MIT, Stanford, UC Berkeley, Carnegie Mellon, Oxford, the National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, Virginia Tech, and nearly every major university in Japan.

Nissan-Self-Driving-Cars
We also recently reported that the Self-Driving car technology may make it to our four wheelers in near future asSelf-Driving Car Technology Is Getting Ready - But Will It Work In India?to make it work by 2025. So, is there a competition between the giant automaker Nissan and the online tech company Google for making such autonomously driven cars -A difference in approach between Nissan and Google is that Nissan’s system doesn't need to be linked to an Internet-based data system, said Mitsuhiko Yamashita, the company’s executive vice president for research and development. "We don’t count on infrastructure so much. All the technology is in the cars," Yamashita told reporters yesterday.
We are really looking forward to some videos from Nissan's self driving vehicles. How about you? Let us know your opinions in comments.

Replies

• vikaskumar11233
    vikaskumar11233
    Really a great news to hear. I have gained information about this news yesterday. It will be a new and challenging technology to be introduced in the market.
    Talking about Nissan, it has sold more than 75,000 Leaf electric vehicles worldwide since late 2010. Including alliance partner Renault SA(RNO) of France, they have delivered about 100,000 electric cars. A similar concept car is under development by Google. But there is some differences in both of them. The difference in approach between Nissan and Google is that Nissan’s system doesn't need to be linked to an Internet-based data system, said Mitsuhiko Yamashita, the company’s executive vice president for research and development.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MOD NOTE: unnecessary links removed
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I so want to see this come to reality. I'd rather call for some innovation on 'self-parking' cars. People have absolutely no sense of how to park their cars. Most of the cars parked on the streets either block the ways for other vehicles or simply become obstacles to regular traffic. Develop something that adds to sanity to the whole parking business.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Nissan has nailed it.On reading topic I thought that it was a old news and nissan is too late to the competition but nissan proved me wrong.As we already discussed about the autopilot by many leading Auto Giants it will be a fierce competition and Nissan definitelty has an edge over others as It dont require internet to drive or control the vehicle.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I accept the fact that Most of the good drivers really fail in parking in narroe space.A car with a better parking assist or automated parking is going to rule the market.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

If you are like millions of others (nothing to be proud of it) who spend waste hours on Facebook looking at totally useless stuff - there's a way to fix...
The UK P 50 billion High Speed Rail line HS2 is receiving a lot of flak. A thing touted as an engineering marvel (it could well be) is getting bogged...
Engineers at MIT and National University of Ireland (NUI) have developed a 3D mapping algorithm that can create highly detailed indoor and outdoor 3D maps in real time. The research...
Researchers, Rajesh Rao and Andrea Stocco of the University of Washington have developed world's first human brain-to-brain interface. Using the technique, Rajesh Rao was able to control the movements of...
if possible tell me the latest technology used in detecting faults??