Ni-Cd Vs. Ni-MH rechargeable batteries - which ones last longer?

While doing a quick survey for batteries to use with Apple Magic Mouse and Apple Wireless Keyboard, I discovered that Apple's default batteries are Ni-MH batteries; mAh rating unknown. I then checked on Flipkart and Amazon and found out that the top rated batteries, in terms of mAh rating are: Sony's 2500 mAh Ni-MH batteries and Ni-Cd batteries from Envie; that have a rating of 2800 mAh. The price of the Envie rechargeable batteries is lower than those from Sony.

Obviously I'm tempted at buying the ones from Nevie assuming that they'll last longer. However, I found out that in general, the Ni-MH batteries have a longer life and they tend to last longer as compared to to Ni-Cd batteries. I'm now looking for recommendations on which batteries would offer more bang for the buck.

It'd be great if someone could quickly list out the major differentiating points between these two types of batteries; and practical experiences of using these batteries for your gadgets (camera, wireless mouse, clocks etc.).

Replies

• Void Runner
    Void Runner
    It is not a hard and fast rule: both batteries are basically equivalents in terms of chemistry. The difference being that NiMH can have a smaller battery for the same capacity as compared to NiCd. Good NiCd batteries can actually avoid the memory effect but we don't know whether the manufacturer has incorporated such a design or not. In general, NiMH batteries do not suffer a memory effect.

For that reason I'd recommend NiMH over NiCd but the difference is not a big deal.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thanks, #-Link-Snipped-# . I haven't used Ni-Cd batteries so can't say for sure whether the memory effect is really troublesome. I'm quite disciplined when it comes to charging the batteries. I'm looking to buy AA sized batteries and it seems to me that Ni-MH is a better bet over Ni-Cd.

Will keep the discussion open for more views and opinions.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    I am not sure but somewhere I read about the hitting difference between these two battery as they have different chemicals and there some difference in chemical process so it might be effect on hitting based on your usage.

But I see many products used in VTS kind of system they are still using LiPo battery no doubt they are targeting small size and less weight but still it's more reliable in such application.
  • Void Runner
    Void Runner
    Just about any Lithium battery will do better in reliability than Nickel-based ones. It's because of the chemistry of the devices 😀 That being said, NiMH is a good compromise between reliability and price.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    What does our camera men say? #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The camera batteries are different. I'm specifically talking about the AA sized batteries which I can use in regular gadgets.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    I use the Li-ion battery that comes with my camera (EOS 600D). It's 1120mAh 7.2V LP-E8 from Canon. It's good for a day's worth of average continuous shooting (250 - 400 pics) i.e. using viewfinder and later on checking on LCD for picture clarity.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The camera batteries are different. I'm specifically talking about the AA sized batteries which I can use in regular gadgets.
    But entry level digi cams of some years back work out of AA batteries.I have a Sony 10 MP cam and i use Ni Cd batteries butter they run dry on taking 70 pics with Flash ON.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    But entry level digi cams of some years back work out of AA batteries.I have a Sony 10 MP cam and i use Ni Cd batteries butter they run dry on taking 70 pics with Flash ON.
    My dad used to have the same issue with his 16 megapixels Sony Cybershot.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Most camera battery comes with Li-Ion with higher capacity. It mostly differ from 300 shots to 1000 shots (Nikon D7000 and higher model).

I don't know what is different between Ni-Cd Vs. Ni-MH but here is an article
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Void Runner
    Void Runner
    Without going into details, they are chemically equivalent, except that NiCd needs to have a special design to ensure minimal memory effect. NiMH does not suffer from the memory effect to nearly the same extent. Better to go for NiMH vs. NiCd for two reasons: Cadmium being a toxic metal (disposal issues) and that you simply do not know what kind of design has been used for the NiCd battery.
  • David Jackson
    David Jackson

I think the difference between Ni-Cd Vs. Ni-MH is at what frequency these channels intersect. I found a cool review on the radio  http://thebestwalkietalkies.com/ 
     there maybe something is there on this topic

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Not a traditional thread 😛 But see this :
Hello All, I am Hitesh Bhalsod from Ahmedabad, graduated with B.E. (Electrical) in 2011. Having 2.5 year experience of Marketing of Electronics relays ( 6 months ) and Cooling tower...
Success: Your Destiny Henry Ford said "Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success." Success is a small word, but very big meaning. If anyone...
Hai guys, This is sudrshan ,i have a ablity to slove a many difficult problem in many fields efficiently,now i make my mind stronger to start my own company in...
Those who have read Ayn Rand's book "Atlas Shrugged" and have also watched the two series of movies based on the book might be waiting in anticipation of the launch...