New State Of Matter Could Solve Biggest Mysteries Of Physics

A team of scientists have discovered a new state of matter called Jahn Teller Metals which can possibly lead to development of more effective high temperature superconductors. The newly discovered state appears to be a unique combination of insulator, metal, superconductor and magnet. This state can help understanding high temperature superconductors which are considered as one the mysteries in Physics. Scientists have named the new state of matter after Jahn Teller effect, which describes the distorted arrangement of molecules and ions at low pressure.

new-state-of matter-discovered

The research was led by a chemist named Kosmas Prassides from Tokohu University, Japan. Researchers were able to change the distance between molecules by introducing Rubidium with Carbon-60 that formed the new crystalline structure. When this structure was tested, it showed the properties of insulating, metallic, superconducting and magnetic phases including a new one named as Jahn Teller metals. The new state of matter allows scientists to transform an insulator to a conductor just by applying pressure. A researcher Michael Byre explains this as the task of Rubidium is to apply pressure, but not to compress or squeeze. This can be done through chemical process where distance between molecules can be tweaked by adding or subtracting some barriers in between them.

Jahn Teller metal, which is an insulator initially, transforms into conductor when pressure is applied, thanks to Jahn Teller effect. The material retains the same structure as it holds originally, but electrons manage to hop around as freely as if the material were a conductor. The effect of insulator transforming to conductor persists for a while. In this transition phase, there’s a possibility of transforming insulating materials to highly valuable superconductors. When these properties are confirmed, scientists can figure out why some materials have potential to achieve superconductivity at relatively high critical temperature.

Superconductivity is that arena of physics which has managed to entice researchers and scientists for so many decades. Some believe that if the complete potential of superconductors is realized, we may solve many major problems related to energy in the world.

What are your thoughts about the newly discovered state of matter? Share your opinions with us in comments below.

In depth: Scientists Have Discovered a New State of Matter, Called 'Jahn-Teller Metals' : ScienceAlert | #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello, i just joined CrazyEngineers community, please welcome me Name: Hassan Engineering Trade: Computer Science Occupation: Working as manager Hobbies & Interests: Web Development I joined CrazyEngineers because: i want...
Right now i trying make a java swing based online voting system . all i have done till now is created a UI for useres to sign up,login and to...
The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) has announced that it has finalised the Ultra HD Blu-ray specification and released a new logo that will accompany these discs. As the name suggests,...
As I m from core field of engineering, the biggest question is that if I opt software testing will that be future feasible ? After graduation I was preparing for...
Lenovo India is riding the high wave as it introduces its flagship smartphone called 'Lenovo A7000' in the country. Priced at Rs. 8999, this smartphone is truly a competitor to...