New Search Functionality Codenamed 'Baloo' Likely To Arrive In Upcoming KDE Releases.

KDE Development team is currently working on improving the on-desktop search functionality, Nepomuk; which will be included in the upcoming KDE releases. The iteration of Networked Environment for Personalized Ontology-based Management (Nepomuk), codenamed 'Baloo' ; is the new search functionality that is capable of indexing & auto-completion of files and contacts, adding tags in Dolphin file manager & Gwenview, searching within Dolphin file manager and Email searching. This will help users & developers in dynamically classifying & organizing their data.

slide

The changes are very large & shouldn't be tested in production system since repository will be tracking KDE git master, which are usually broken & unstable, resulting in crashing your system. However, for curious users who are ready to test it in their system, KDE packages available in KDE:Unstable:SC repository of openSUSE are available for installing. The new packages will overwrite the current KDE packages with new unstable ones. Testers have to confirm that the required files 'baloo', 'kfilemetadata' & 'libbaloowidgets4' must be installed with KDE Unstable packages to make it work.

KDE team has asked the users/testers to performing usual tasks like searching & tagging files & emails using Baloo. If any bug is noticed, testers can report them in bugs.kde.org which probably can help KDE developers to forge the application with better functionality & with least possible bugs. For detailed information, we suggest that you read #-Link-Snipped-#.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

First of all happy new year to all my sweet and intelligent friends of cean. Now i came to the topic that is the car infotenment system as i know...
I am bit confused as lack of proper knowledge. I have ended yup between two institutes and their courses. Seed Infotech guides me to become software tester to enter IT...
As engineers, the base of everything we do is science. Engineering itself is application of science and the laws that have been proven to work in any given frame of...
Datsun is one of the most important brands from Nissan Motor Company. At the Delhi Auto Expo 2014 in India, the company has unveiled its brand new MPV called Datsun...
Firefox engineers have released a brand new version of Firefox (available in nightly and aurora buildes at this time) featuring the long promised Australis user interface. The official Mozilla UX...