New Protocol: SPDY [that's SPeeDY]. Will it replace HTTP?

Google now aims to kick HTTP's butt, the standard protocol on the web since 1996.

In an official blog post on Chromium Blog, Mike Belshe and Roberto Peon say that -

SPDY is at its core an application-layer protocol for transporting content over the web. It is designed specifically for minimizing latency through features such as multiplexed streams, request prioritization and HTTP header compression.
Result? - A two times faster Web! ๐Ÿ˜

Further -

So far we have only tested SPDY in lab conditions. The initial results are very encouraging: when we download the top 25 websites over simulated home network connections, we see a significant improvement in performance - pages loaded up to 55% faster. There is still a lot of work we need to do to evaluate the performance of SPDY in real-world conditions. However, we believe that we have reached the stage where our small team could benefit from the active participation, feedback and assistance of the web community.
Did you read that? 55% faster!

Boy, Google boys are really going places! What do you think?

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    This is awesome ๐Ÿ˜€

Thanks for the news Biggie ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    its really superb that google is taking place everywhere,as from beginning from the search engine ,new programming language "GO",now a protocol..has changed the way of communication realistically ,hope to use this protocol soon in the real world ๐Ÿ˜€.
    Thanks biggie...for this great news
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Come on biggie, you're too quick to bite into the hype. 55% in simulated network environment is not THAT big of a deal ๐Ÿ˜‰ In addition, this protocol is meant to augment HTTP, not replace it.

I have a strong hunch that this protocol is strongly tied with the use of the Google Chrome browser only. Not suprisingly.. if it starts stepping on W3C and IETF toes (who have their own prototype protocols to test with), Google would probably lose the domination they had planned for.
  • Mahesh Dahale
    Mahesh Dahale
    So [โ€‹IMG] has..

re-invented email,communication : Wave
    created an operating system : Chrome OS
    created a mobile platform : Android
    created a browser : Chrome
    created a new systems programming language : Go
    and now...rewriting HTTP : Spdy

They want everything.
  • nasruddin sayyad
    nasruddin sayyad
    its really amazing protocol whch works on appliction layer ....if compare security with HTTP then is it better to choose spdy..?
  • sunil kadam
    sunil kadam
    HTTP/2 PROTOCOL must have good improvements.
    nice biggi ๐Ÿ˜‰

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

This one should tickle the brains of lots of computer science engineers over here. Apart from using web accelerators (which primarily do the catching), can there be fundamental changes in...
Dear All, I have three Rotex make 22 KW each Electrical boilers. I am facing a problem since very long. My boiler element works only for 15-20 days. after that...
If you want to be one of the first ones outside MS who'll get to test the Beta version of Microsoft's Office 2010, all you have to do is click...
This is one of the fantastic mail I received today ๐Ÿ˜€ THE OTHER SIDE Father was reading a magazine and his little daughter every now and then distracted him. To...
Received following PR update from Wolfram|Alpha Team: We are delighted to announce that Popular Science, the world's largest science and technology magazine, has released its 22nd annual list of the...