New Prosthetic Arm Works By Recognizing Memories Of Original Arm Movements

Mexican scientists at the Centre for Research and Advanced Studies (CINVESTAV) are trying to build a prosthetic arm that can move when the human brain thinks about its motion. The team hopes that this design will recognize and try to associate with the memory of the arm’s movement stored in the amputee’s brain. It will translate these memory patterns into a set of instructions for the prosthetic arm. These instructions will act as a guideline for the prosthesis’ physical movements.

Arm

The memory of knowing how to move the arm in the amputee’s brain is the first and the most important stage as the electric signals for the prosthetic arm movement won’t be coming from the muscles that forms the stump but from the movement patterns of the brain. The task of tracking the memory of movement pattern is not an easy job as the brain stores multiple activities that occur in the human body. Still, the team has tried to draw that pattern. The researchers studied the required patterns in the Electroencephalography (EEG) and then identified the memory that can be electrically recorded. After that, they evaluated the sensitivity of the signals to external shocks such as light.

signal

According to the researchers, the prosthesis needs mechanical and electronic system to activate it along with a segment which will help to elucidate the signals from the brain. The material which will be used to develop the prosthetic arm is not yet finalized as it must weigh between two to three kilograms; the same as an actual arm’s weight.

brain

This unique and novel development will provide a new dimension to the field of bioelectronics called BCI (Brain Computer Interface) as it provides a direct communication between the human brain and the external device connected to it. The main objective of this type of communication is to help or repair the human motor and sensory functions.

source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Rachel caroline
    Rachel caroline
    This is good !! actually i presented a paper on how to control prosthetic legs using brain waves ! i really had a very good response and was awarded prize too
    but then one prof. asked me are you using lithium Ion battery for that ! ?
    i really cant figure out in what concern he asked me !!!! Still pecking me 😕
    Can you plz help me
  • Sharvari Panchbhai
    Sharvari Panchbhai
    Rachel Caroline
    This is good !! actually i presented a paper on how to control prosthetic legs using brain waves ! i really had a very good response and was awarded prize too
    but then one prof. asked me are you using lithium Ion battery for that ! ?
    i really cant figure out in what concern he asked me !!!! Still pecking me 😕
    Can you plz help me
    First of all congratulations. 😀
    Yes! Prosthesis can use lithium ion battery. For instance, Otto Bock, a German prosthetics company provides prosthetic limbs which work on lithium ion battery.

To know more about the prosthesis that uses lithium ion battery you can have a look at the below links:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#

I hope this may help you.
  • Rachel caroline
    Rachel caroline
    thank you very much 😀 😀 sure is a useful resource 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i got the job as a software developer from company working at oracle fusion middleware and one of the golden partner of oracle and we will be working on bpel,bpm...
Sir i am pursuing my 3rd year B.E in Electronics and communication dept as i am intrested in auto-mobile engineering so i would like to know more info abt the...
ASUS India has come up with its 2014 version of the Asus Fonepad 7 tablet in India with a price tag of Rs. 8,990. The new Fonepad 7 goes with...
GATE 2015 dates and other information has been announced officially. This year IIT-Kanpur is all set to conduct the entrance exam in various cities across India. The online application processing...
I am ece student(2014 batch). I am intrested in software testing but i have heard that ece student have lesser oppourtunity than cs/it student (about 80%) companies often offer more...