New Medical Device Allows Infection Diagnosis In Just 3.5 Minutes

A new medical device developed by engineers and scientists at the University of Arizona (UA) can provide an accurate diagnosis of the infection very quickly. Faster detection of the infection allows doctors to prescribe treatment early, which is beneficial not only to the patient but also for the other patients in the hospital. The new device takes a new approach to DOTS qPCR - aka molecular diagnosis, an efficient and less expensive mechanism the the ones currently being used by clinics.

Biomedical engineer Dustin Harshman, currently working as a scientists at Ventana Medical Systems informed that his team has developed an entirely new type of system than the ones that exist in the market. The PCR techniques, currently being used takes about an hour or more to provide results and physician's decision making process adds another ten minutes. The DOTS qPCR technique, invented by Prof. Jeong-Yeol Yoon and his group allows to cut down the time from collecting the sample to getting results to just 3.5 minutes.

DOTS-qPCR
Image Credit: Dustin Harshman​

Yoon informs that the DOTs qPCR technique is less expensive over the traditional methods. Also, it does not need the sample to be completely free of contamination. The new device integrates with smartphone and has lot of commercial potential. Yoon looks forward to working with the industry to bring the device to the market.

Harshman informed that the team is aiming to create a device that will offer information as soon as they perform a biopsy. Further information about the research is available on the source link below.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i am very fresh here, i am student of electrical engineering 7th semester and i am searching for FYP idea, any one of please can help me. i will be...
"You won't get a girl to marry because you don't have a secured job” - said his mother when Gulshan announced that he is ditching the TCS job offer to...
Samsung has finally announced the latest phablet, the Note 5 in India with official price tags. The base model, with 32GB of storage will hit the retail stores for Rs....
I'm trying to understand the call drop issue that's making buzz in the Indian telecom industry. I personally have been experiencing totally bad call quality and frequent call drops on...
Nokia 105 Dual SIM phone has been launched in India with a price tag of just Rs. 1499. The candybar phone is available in black and white color variants to...