Networking or Software Testing as a career

Hi All,

I am Muzzamil from Bangalore and
I Apologies for any errors/ mistakes in the post below, as this is my first post in LIFE.

Firstly i really appreciate this CrazyEngineers Forum, reason being.

1. Personally For me it is 1 of the best forum which includes Technology Guidance, Problem Solutions, Career Guidance, resolve career confusions & many more.
2. I like the way, 1 starts a thread and rest all give inputs on various field technologies.
3. Guiding people with Blur career path.
4. keeping us up-to-date with Technology.
5. For me it is a one stop site.

Now, coming to my Background.

1. I have done my B.E(2011 passout) in Information Science 56%, 2nd PUC in PCMC's 46% and SSLC 57%.
2. I have worked as sales executive for 7 months, and i am currently working in MNC as Techical Support Executive for 1.5 yrs.

Career Plan?

1. I'm confused in my career path.
2. I am not sure which field i like.(i feel i can get comfortable in all the fields).
3. After seeing an option of various fields where i can lead my career, i chose.
a. software testing.
b. networking.
c. servers.
d. storage.
e. sales.
4. I was pursuing CCNA course from Mohan's Networking, but had to discontinue in mid because of shift change.
5. I finally locked my thoughts to SOFTWARE TESTING as career.

Help/ Assistance.

1. I am really not happy in the job i am doing, should i quit and take time in deciding with other interests.
2. Should i take Networking or Software Testing as a career.
3. Should i complete CCNA course and search a job.
4. Can i get into Software Testing now after such a long time.
5. Should i join as a fresher or
6. Should i do a testing course for a added advantage and move laterally.
7. I have selected a course Diploma Program In Software Testing from Edista - should i go for it.
8. Kindly suggest a Good Software Testing institute - as most of the institutions i have found are money minded and not good in placements assistance.
9. What about the institutes which promise JOB Gautrantee.

I know it is lot to ask for, but please this is the major and ONLY problem in my life now.

Thanks & Eagerly awaiting replies.

Muzzamil Shaik
+91 96631 66006

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Welcome to CE, @#-Link-Snipped-# ! Thank you for good words about CrazyEngineers and we all hope to see you as an active member here. It feels nice when the question is so neatly described. Let's handle your questions one by one -

1. I am really not happy in the job i am doing, should i quit and take time in deciding with other interests.

K: Nope, do not quit before you decide on what to do next. The decision may also depend on your financial conditions. If you can take care of your finances without job; you may consider it at a later point. But I will recommend keep your job and start exploring other opportunities.

2. Should i take Networking or Software Testing as a career.

K: They were two different types of careers but may have a few parts overlapping. Take your time to explore what these careers offers and then take a decision. Both careers will be equally rewarding provided you excel at what you're doing.

3. Should i complete CCNA course and search a job.

K: CCNA would be a big advantage if you're going for a job in networking. But do explore the opportunities CCNAs get once they complete the course.

4. Can i get into Software Testing now after such a long time.

K: You'll always find companies that are looking for talented people. One of the better ways to start your career is to work for a startup company that'd recruit your for your talents and not your existing job profile. Otherwise, you may also start building your teasing profile by being an active contributor to major open source software development projects. That should look really good on your resume. Do look for opportunities in your existing organisation as well.

5. Should i join as a fresher or
    6. Should i do a testing course for a added advantage and move laterally.

K: Any start is a good start. But start only when you are convinced.

7. I have selected a course Diploma Program In Software Testing from Edista - should i go for it.

K: Review the institute, talk to past-students and then decide.

8. Kindly suggest a Good Software Testing institute - as most of the institutions i have found are money minded and not good in placements assistance.

K: Again, you'll have to do your own research here. Cannot recommend any one institute.

9. What about the institutes which promise JOB Gautrantee.

K: I doubt they will ever offer Job Guarantee. Because, most of the times they can't. They'll offer Job assistance and do not fall into the trap. Always try to join the institute that has a proven track record of the things .

I hope this helps. If you have questions, feel free to post below.
  • shaik muzzamil
    shaik muzzamil
    Hi Kaustubh,

Thanks alot for the quick response.

Well today there is a batch starting for software testing in Edista.

I have done some research on the company, even thou there are some complaints and complements from ex-students online.

It seems like a genuine company.

I have decided to go the institute.

I will update as soon as i have a review.

Thanks & Regards.

Muzzamil S
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @#-Link-Snipped-# Great questions, friend. Your coming forward and asking for queries will help a lot of other students and professionals. Keep us posted on what you are choosing and feel free to ask more questions.
  • S Nitesh S
    S Nitesh S
    hi. Networking is good or Software testing is good as a career option

please give me fast reply
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    S Nitesh S
    hi. Networking is good or Software testing is good as a career option

please give me fast reply
    Software testing is a good career option.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    For the case of Networking as a career option, I can say that its very promising.

CCNA is a good basic outline, but its just a drop in the ocean of the different areas of Networking you can get involved in:
    - WAN (e.g MPLS Routing at Service Provider Level)
    - LAN (e.g Datacenter fibre switching)
    - WLAN (e.g 802.11ac RF planning)
    - UC (e.g VoIP, Video Conferencing)
    - Security Networks (e.g Endpoint Firewalls, IPS, Anti-Spam)
    - Cloud Networks (e.g AWS, Bluemix, Azure)
    - Sensor Networks (e.g IoT, remote sensing)
    - Satellite Networks (e.g Broadcasting)

You can choose to be an expert for one or several, and will always be high in demand globally. Network technologies will always evolve, so if you are the type that likes to keep up with the latest and greatest tech, then its a very fulfilling career 😀
  • Nithin n
    Nithin n
    I'm Vry confused with networking or testing,
    Which have good scope,nd I don't have much knowledge abt coding,
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Nithin n
    I'm Vry confused with networking or testing,
    Which have good scope,nd I don't have much knowledge abt coding,
    Have you tried to find out information about these two career tracks? What information did you find out?
  • Nithin n
    Nithin n
    I'm gathering info abt both, if I ask about 10 members half of them say testing nd another half networking, so aging in a dilemma.
    Got to know dat manual testing requires geneal knowledge abt programming,
    Networking also need to know pgmng but not as much as testing.
    So as per ur view which is good sir?
    Which course have more job opportunities with good salary.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Nithin n
    I'm gathering info abt both, if I ask about 10 members half of them say testing nd another half networking, so aging in a dilemma.
    Right, because everyone will have their own opinion and view things from a different perspective. You should have also gathered information on 'why' they think networking or testing is better. But you should realise that it's their opinion and you cannot afford to depend your career on their choice.
    Nithin n
    Got to know dat manual testing requires geneal knowledge abt programming,
    Incorrect information. Manual testing does NOT require you to have knowledge of programming. It requires you to have the knowledge of the software you are testing. This knowledge is provided by the creator of the software.

Nithin n
    Networking also need to know pgmng but not as much as testing.
    Depends upon the kind of job you are doing. But having knowledge of a specific language that's relevant to your job will definitely help.

Nithin n
    So as per ur view which is good sir?
    Which course have more job opportunities with good salary.
    In my view; both networking and testing are equally good. Which one to choose should be decided by you. How do you decide that? Well - I think you haven't done enough research on both the careers. Spend time learning about these two career options, what they offer and pick up the one which you think is more exciting than the other. That's the ONLY way to make a well informed, right decision.

There's isn't any course that will guarantee a job or good salary. Again, 'good salary' needs to be defined. Unfortunately, it's not possible to provide meaningful answers to the questions that don't offer any useful information.
  • Nithin n
    Nithin n
    I deleted d networking option, Sir I got an another question Nw. Well it's a oracle dba, how is this course nd job opportunities nd salaries.. Nd abt the work pressure?? Compared to testing which is good for my career..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Nithin n
    Well it's a oracle dba, how is this course nd job opportunities nd salaries
    I don't know how to answer this because we can never know how you're going to find these courses. Also, it's impossible to generalise 'work pressure'. It depends upon the job and manager.

Don't worry about those things. Just find out whether you think DBA looks very interesting to you and something that you can do for foreseeable future as a career. Everything else will fall in place if you love what you do.
  • blaze king
    blaze king
    Ankita Katdare
    @#-Link-Snipped-# Great questions, friend. Your coming forward and asking for queries will help a lot of other students and professionals. Keep us posted on what you are choosing and feel free to ask more questions.
    Hi, I am also quite confused about my career. I will share my career details briefly here:
    I have done BE(IT) in 2012 with 58% but unfortunately with 2 years gap (from 2006-2012). I have secured 81.87% in SSC, 69.5% in HSC. After BE(IT) , I worked as a trainee PL/SQL developer for 6 months in a startup company. Then in 2013, I joined on MBA institute & completed my MBA (Marketing ) in 2015 with 66%.
    In 2015 I got placed in 1 company as a sales executive. I worked in that company for 3 months only since it was quite hectic job. Then after leaving that job I did Digital Marketing Course on Google AdWords, SEO, Social Media Optimization for 5 months. Then finally I am currently working as a Trainee Business Development Executive in 1 company from past 4 months but quite less salary compared my Sales Executive Job.Also I am fed up of cold calling (making around 80 cold calls in night shift)
    My doubts are:
    1)I did BE in 2012 after 4 years gap, if I want to shift my career from sales to Linux/Networking/Database/Software Testing job will it be possible with a certification course?
    2)If possible please suggest me the option where I may have more chances of getting the job in Linux/Networking/Database/Software Testing?
    3)Also I am currently running 28 years of age considering that please do reply.

Regards.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am currently in 6th sem of engineering (3rd year)..in Pune University I want to give 2015 attempt for GATE should I join the Gate Coaching Classes which are conducted...
projects related to aeronautical and mechanical departments in R&D design analysis Study material Question bank Technical articles aeroprojectsite.wordpress.com space2aero.blogspot.in
Czech Republic located game studio, Warhorse Studios has funded a Kickstarter game Kingdom Come Deliverance; which is powered by Crytek's CryEngine3. CryEngine 3 is the latest version of Crytek's game...
I am not going to write what's already been mentioned in Gnome's blog. I will simply post pictures which is enough to give you hint on future CSD in Gnome...
EQUILIBRIO 2014, The annual Techno-management fest of GGV finished off in style at 7:00 PM on the 24th of January, with the Battle of Bands stealing the show. The entire...