Networking doubts

Guys i have few doubts which i am posting here....please look into them

1. Since routers work at network layer then how can they use TCP/UDP for transmitting routing information
i.e TCP is used by BGP (an exterior gateway protocol)
And UDP is used by RIP (an Interior gateway protocol)

TCP and UDP works at transport layer. Why they use TCP/UDP ?

2. How do we know our application use which protocol.
For example : -Suppose we want to know gtalk uses tcp or udp then how to check it ?

Replies

• sushant005
    sushant005
    TCP is a connection - oriented protocol it means that for establishing the connection first sender send the request to the receiver and then after getting the request receiver give the feedback ACK to the sender and then in response a TCP packet with the ACK send bt the sender to say that connection is established and are ready to communicate.
    It is called as the three - handshake process.

Where as UDP is connectionless protocol it means that it does not need to verify whether the receiver is listening or ready to accept the packet...and this is one of the reason why it is faster then TCP and the e-mail programs are UDP based. and i think Gtalk is also UDP based..

do me correct if i m wrong...
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    hey Routers use TCP/UDP?
    As per my knowledge, they use IP like IPv4, IPv6.
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    didn't get your first question.

2.>
    Download Wireshark freeware understand the packet captured in the log .
    you can also use the command netstat -na and after closing all the network applications and open onlu gtalk without login.
  • Sachin Jain
    Sachin Jain
    sahithi pallavi
    hey Routers use TCP/UDP?
    As per my knowledge, they use IP like IPv4, IPv6.
    Actully routers use routing protocols which use TCP/UDP

There are 2 types of routing protocols
    1. Exterior gateway protocol (example BGP which use TCP)
    2. Interior gateway protocol (example OSPF,RIP which use UDP)

IPV4 is used also.
    But above IPv4 tcp/udp is used
  • Sachin Jain
    Sachin Jain
    @mohit thanx for answering the 2nd one.

My 1st question is
    Since TCP/UDP are transport layer protocols so how can a router (a network layer device ) can use these protocols (above layer protocols) ?
  • Raja_V
    Raja_V
    As per the query provided above:

TCP is used for BGP and UDP is used for RIP.
    The first point here to mention why BGP uses TCP rather than UDP?
    BGP uses TCP for the communication purpose as all other protocols does, the port number used by BGP to establish the communication is 179.

RIP uses UDP and the port number used is 520.

As per the OSI model these applications differ with the Internet Protocol Suit where in the Routing protocols are present in Application layer and the TCP UDP and other in Transport layer.

Coming onto the second point : gtalk.

As per the OSI model we can identify which layer provides what. X.400 standard to deliver the messages.

We can use Wire shark to find which protocol is being used by the application. Its a free tool and can be downloaded from Internet, you can also check the time, bytes, packet size and the protocols used.

I hope this information is informative.

Regards,
    Raja.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Myntra - India's leading custom t-shirt manufacturer has raised $5m from various venture capital firms. The company plans to use the funding for expanding its core business, reach and also...
I am creating a database using mySQL and PHP. The database is about solar system having entities star, planets, asteroids, comets with their respective attributes (size, mass, Position, etc). My...
sir,i m a student in electrical engg (2nd year) plz suggest some suitable & up to date projects in electrical engg so dat i can familiarize with project work regarding...
Yahoo the Titanic is showing no signs of recovery. The comapny that's already hit big icebergs many times is now trying to receover by letting go its most important asset:...
Google have added a new feature in its search engine called Google.Com Search Result Preview. This features was already present in Bing.Com and this is really Cool feature where you...