NEED HELP REGARDING BOUNDARY CONDITIONS!!!!urgent

hi hello everybody my thesis is "finite element analysis of jacketed columns subjected to axial load only"

i have used the SHEIKH AND UZUMERI MODEL and theoretically found out the confined axial load capacity of random size jacketed columns (stirrups confining pressure increases the axial capacity inferred)

i have also verified the same in ANSYS by modelling the columns with

concrete- solid 65 element
steel- link8 element
boundary conditions- one end free where load is applied as equivalent static pressure
other end hinged
i got the correct result in software but my sir is telling the column will not be stable,,i told that since we are check only axial capacity , hinged or fixed are same...

plz give ur valuable advice about this.. thank you

Replies

• KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    I don't think hinged and fixed are same. In hinged you allow your column for rotation. I hope you knew the difference of both.

Let we take an example from door. It has hinged support, if we applied an axial load towards the joint. It try to oscillate or some small shattered occurs. Similarly in your column the stress pattern may differs.

Have you checked the both boundary conditions ? whether it give the same pattern of stress and results

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Well guys, dumb criminals are people who are simply not proficient at what they are doing. they do their stuff, and drop such easy clues, that within minutes they will...
This is fun project, sad part is I don't have a device with NFC. But you can DIY if you got one with NFC. Quite better than Apple's Buggy Exploited...
Huawei has launched 3 new phones - Huawei Ascend G6, Ascend G750 and Honor 3C in India today. The phones run on Android 4.2 Jelly Bean operating system and offer...
Hi engineers, I really don't know if it already exist, hope it does, but I need a software or a tool to generate a document based on a template. For...
Does it ever happen to you that you forgot your keys inside the car and then locked the car. I have been in this type of problem couple of times...