Need assistance with no sound in Fedora 21

Yesterday, sound left my operating system Fedora 21. I am a newbie at this and unsure what to do.

I tested the sound settings, and they are turned on. The microphone test showed I was talking - it has a wave movement. However, the test for the output of voice sound did nothing.

Thanks, for any help.

Replies

• lal
    lal
    May be it'll help if you could try to remember what exactly you changed/removed/installed new just before the sound left.

I'm no expert either 😁 The system log could be of help too I guess.

Tagging #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    MsElisa
    Yesterday, sound left my operating system Fedora 21. I am a newbie at this and unsure what to do.
    You mean first you had sound and now it ain't ? Please elaborate what have you done in between ? This 'Yesterday I had sound, today it's not' doesn't really help to find the problem.

Presuming that you haven't enabled rpmfusion repository, open terminal & type :
    sudo -c 'yum localinstall --nogpgcheck https://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-$(rpm -E %fedora).noarch.rpm https://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-$(rpm -E %fedora).noarch.rpm'
    Then install non-free codecs :
    sudo yum install gstreamer gstreamer-ffmpeg gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-plugins-bad-free gstreamer-plugins-bad-nonfree gstreamer-plugins-base gstreamer-plugins-good gstreamer-plugins-ugly gstreamer-plugin-crystalhd gstreamer1-plugins-bad-freeworld gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free gstreamer1-plugins-good gstreamer1-libav ffmpeg
    If you don't like terminal, there is GUI available which will download all proprietary codecs, drivers also enabling rpmfusion in your fedora distro. Visit : #-Link-Snipped-#
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    dont worry the sound will come back as it left in the first place.
  • MsElisa
    MsElisa
    Abhishek Rawal
    You mean first you had sound and now it ain't ? Please elaborate what have you done in between ? This 'Yesterday I had sound, today it's not' doesn't really help to find the problem.

Presuming that you haven't enabled rpmfusion repository, open terminal & type :
    sudo -c 'yum localinstall --nogpgcheck https://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-$(rpm -E %fedora).noarch.rpm https://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-$(rpm -E %fedora).noarch.rpm'
    Then install non-free codecs :
    sudo yum install gstreamer gstreamer-ffmpeg gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-plugins-bad-free gstreamer-plugins-bad-nonfree gstreamer-plugins-base gstreamer-plugins-good gstreamer-plugins-ugly gstreamer-plugin-crystalhd gstreamer1-plugins-bad-freeworld gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free gstreamer1-plugins-good gstreamer1-libav ffmpeg
    If you don't like terminal, there is GUI available which will download all proprietary codecs, drivers also enabling rpmfusion in your fedora distro. Visit : #-Link-Snipped-#
  • MsElisa
    MsElisa
    Thanks, so very much. I re-installed Fedora 21, and followed all instructions.

"Now I have Sound." 😁

🎉

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A few weeks ago, Google announced that they have stopped the sale of Google Glasses. With their competition eliminated, Sony has taken the benefit of this opportunity and have announced...
Project Abstract / Summary : In a world where every electronic device can be connected to each other, we take a step further by bringing this into the physical world....
Project Abstract / Summary : DESIGN & DEVELOPMENT OF KINETIC ENERGY STORED IN BI-CYCLE as the kinetic energy is defined we has considered a bi-cycle and along with the chain...
Project Abstract / Summary : In advancement of fuel, petrol is combined with hydrogen produces power and thereby increasing efficiency.Active research in the development of hydrogen-fuelled low-emission.Use of Hydrogen for...
Project Abstract / Summary : AIRBORNE WIND TURBINE PRESENTED BY BHUVANESWARI V KOTHANDARAMAN K SHANMUGAM N VIJAY KUMAR T DEPARTMENT OF AERONAUTICAL ENGINEERING P.B COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING SRIPERUMBUDUR, CHENNAI-602117 ​...