NASA's Laser Instrument Will Measure Methane 24x7

NASA researcher Haris Riris is working on developing a new laser instrument to track global methane concentration round the clock. Riris and his colleagues from the Goddard Space Flight Center have collaborated with another Gobbard researcher, Jim Abshire who had developed the Carbon-Dioxide (CO2) Sounder Lidar (which stands for Light Detection and Ranging) that collects information about CO2 in the atmosphere. The team will use the same techniques and principles as used by the CO2 sounder deployed on a satellite.

The flight tests have been later this year and NASA is investing in the research. NASA hopes that if the laboratory tests are successful, the instrument can be included on a mission similar to ASCENDS (Active Sensing Of CO2 Emissions Over Nights, Days and Seasons). The official media release notes that CO2 has been recognized as an important greenhouse gas but methane is more potent. Scientists expect that the release of methane gas will contribute to accelerated global warming.

NASA-Methane-Laser-Instrument
Image Credit: Emily Schaller (NASA)​

Riris' laser instrument will keep track of methane concentrations globally, which the current satellites are not capable of. Riris and his team hopes that their methane sensor will be much more accurate and precise than MERLIN (Methane Remote Sensing Lidar Mission) because they've deployed a more sensitive detector and have adopted a multi-wavelength approach. The methane sounder will use its own light source to power tunable laser to look at the 1.65 micron band. Getting a 1.65 micron laser beam is one of the main challenges the team is working on at present.

More information about the project is available on the source link below.

Via: #-Link-Snipped-# | Source: NASA Scientist Advances Methane Sounder to Measure Another Greenhouse Gas | NASA

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Google's made up its mind to support HTTP/2 and not its own SPDY protocol, the one it introduced back in 2009. Latest announcement on Chromium blog confirms that the upcoming...
Even if most people reading this article have access to internet and it is commonly believed that the entire world is connected to each other via internet, statistics suggest that...
Project Abstract / Summary : Online shopping is a form of electronic commerce which allows consumers to directly buy goods from a seller over the internet using android phones. This...
Project Abstract / Summary : This paper aims to point out the various aspect of prefabricated building methodologies for reinforced brick panels and joist by highlighting the different prefabrication techniques....
Hai, I am currently doing my masters in VLSI Design.. i wish to move my career towards VLSI core industry.. what should i do for that........????