NASA To Launch Orbiting Carbon Observatory 2 Satellite Tomorrow

NASA has given a 'go ahead' to the Observing Carbon Observatory 2 (OCO-2) satellite launch. It is now scheduled to launch tomorrow at 5:56 A.M. EDT (3:26 P.M. IST) atop a United Launch Alliance Delta II rocket from Space Launch Complex 2 at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California. The OCO-2, as the name suggests, will monitor the carbon dioxide levels in earth's atmosphere. NASA hopes that the satellite will provide a comprehensive data about the 'sources' and 'sinks' of carbon dioxide on earth. The OCO-2 is the third satellite managed by the Jet Propulsion Labs at Caltech. The original OCO crashed on its launch in February 2009.

oco2l

Carbon dioxide is the main greenhouse gas that is significantly changing earth's climate. About 40 billion tonnes of carbon dioxide is being added to earth's atmosphere each year. This has disturbed the natural carbon cycle resulting in an increase in the overall temperature on the surface of earth. But all of the Carbon dioxide released does not stay in the atmosphere. Apart from oceans, some terrestrial locations act as 'sinks' for carbon dioxide. For example, forests act as sources and sinks for different times during a day. The location and functioning of these sinks remains a long-standing quandary which the OCO-2 data is expected to solve. The data would also help make global climate change predictions more accurately.

The OCO-2 will be placed in the low-earth orbit. Three spectrometers aboard the satellite observatory will measure the carbon dioxide content by measuring the intensity of each colour obtained by splitting sunlight. So more the intensity, less is the absorption. These measurements will be combined with ground stations, weather balloons and from other satellites (such as JAXA's GOSAT satellite) for further modelling to unravel the mystery of carbon dioxide sinks.

Source: New NASA Space Observatory to Study Carbon Conundrums | NASA

Replies

• Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Update:
    The launch of NASA’s new satellite, the Orbiting Carbon Observatory 2 has been abandoned following an external fault. The problem arose when the water system at the Vandenberg Air Force Base Space Launch Complex 2 pad malfunctioned. The system is critical to the launch process because it provides sound suppression to dampen acoustic waves at liftoff and protect the launch pad flame duct. The countdown was stopped at T-46 seconds. The folks at NASA are now busy figuring out what exactly went wrong with the system. They will announce the next launch schedule as soon as they get are able to pinpoint and rectify the malfunction.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Chaitanya Kukde
    Chaitanya Kukde
    Update 2: The launch of OCO-2 is now rescheduled to July 2, 02:56 A.M. PDT

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A team of engineers at University of Cambridge have managed to break the world record for the trapped magnetic field in a superconductor. The previous record was created over a...
Google has officially announced the End Of Life for Orkut - the once-upon-a-time popular social networking website that took almost entire online population of India and Brazil by storm. Since...
I have done b.tech in computer science engineering,and my interest is only on networking field.i know very little basics of c programming.i always loved to study networking concepts during my...
Hi frds.... am a java developer,, eager in innovative projects development, since this site gave me a lot of innovative ideas, am expecting some help from u guys. Need to...
This is ridiculous, watch it : My reaction :