NASA To Deploy Google's Project Tango In Space

NASA is planning to use Google's 3D mapping technology for its SPHERES project. SPHERES which stands for Synchronized Position Hold, Engage, Reorient, Experimental Satellites was deployed by NASA in 2006 but couldn't offer much more else than precise movement. The space agency has since been working to make the device smarter by improving upon its communication, camera, processing capability and accelerometers. They realized soon enough that the answer to all their woes lied in smartphones. And so they sent the NASA Launches Three SmartPhones Into Space Orbit and attached those to the ball-shaped SPHERES to achieve enhanced sensing and visual capabilities.

project_tango

With the advent of Project Tango, NASA struck gold again. The smartphone and tablet project by Google was developed for the consumer market to facilitate understanding of human-space and motion. The handset is akin to the Microsoft Kinect in its motion-tracking camera and infrared sensor. The technology to detect sharp angles would be of great use inside the space station and 3D maps would improve navigation for SPHERES. It's only a matter of time till we hop on a space-vessel named Prometheus and start mapping the mysterious caves of alien planets.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am not able to access google drive since many days, is it working for you or it's just me?
I confess that I am shocked at the results of this off beat study in Virginia. Maybe Indians are more used to meditation and the results in India could be...
Hi CEans !! it has been a long time seeing yu guys !!hope you all are gud 😀 Fortunately I currently joined as an intern in an R&D organization.i was...
*Name: Nikhil (ya datsan's a nick 😛) *Engineering Trade: Electrical and Electronics *Occupation: Unemployed *Work Experience: none *Hobbies & Interests: none worth mentioning *Aim in life: survive *I joined CrazyEngineers...
The New York based technology market research and intelligence firm, ABI Research has released the list of the top 20 smartphone models sold across the globe in Q1 2014. The...