NASA Ends The Journey Of Its Spacecraft By Crashing It On The Moon

NASA purposely ended the six month journey of its Lunar Atmosphere and Dust Environment Explorer (LADEE) by crashing it on the moon. It might seem a poetic way of biding adieu to a spacecraft but NASA had their reasons. According to NASA, LADEE did not have enough fuel onboard required to maintain a long-term lunar orbit or continue science operations. The manoeuvres to initiate the crash were carried out on April 11. This sent LADEE on a trajectory to the far side of the moon, the side of the moon that is not seen by Earth. The spacecraft which is the size of a vending machine was travelling at a speed of 3600 mph (5793 kph) at the time of impact and once it hit the lunar surface it broke apart. Its makers at the Ames Research Centre in Moffett Field, California are curious to find out about the damage it caused the lunar surface. In the coming months they shall be working with the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO) team at NASA to pinpoint the exact location of the crash and hopefully obtain a photograph of it.

LADEE

LADEE had a pretty eventful life. It was launched in September 2013 from NASA's Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia. It began orbiting the moon on October 6th and started collecting scientific data from November 10th. Regular VoiCE readers know about LADEE for its From Earth To Moon @ 622 Mbps : NASA. This was the first time that NASA opted for a dedicated two-way communication system that used pulsed laser beams instead of conventional radio waves. The LLCD was successfully able to transmit data at speeds were up to 622 Mbps and receive uplink information at speeds up to 20Mbps.

Source: NASA Completes LADEE Mission with Planned Impact on Moon's Surface | NASA

Replies

• Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    NASA, must have spent millions of dollars and invaluable efforts of to sent LADEE to in the orbit and now crashing seems to be very uneventful painful situations to me.

I know if NASA had taken this step they must have though a million timea before that, but Can any Crazy Engineer here suggest vague ideas (out of the box) which could have been a better end to this?
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    I think it is not just fuel. NASA can make a toaster fly and orbit moon if they want to. Something more fishy is involved. Aliens maybe. Crashing spacecraft might be a sort of attack on them.
  • aarav sharma
    aarav sharma
    Can you tell me what is actual reason of Crashing Spacecraft on moon..?
  • avii
    avii
    aarav sharma
    Can you tell me what is actual reason of Crashing Spacecraft on moon..?
    Aliens.
  • micheal john
    micheal john
    I think crashing spacecraft on moon itself is an experiment😉
    instead of drilling to find water, they would have crashed spacecraft on Moon
  • kientaoviet
    kientaoviet
    This was the first time that NASA opted for a dedicated two-way communication system that used pulsed laser beams instead of conventional radio waves #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi everyone, I have studing for my grad. project for a while. It is about 3 phase power calculation and simulating it on LabView software. This calculation will be applied...
Only 6 states in India have bicameral legislature. Many states have abolished Vidhan Parishad, while Andhra Pradesh had earlier abolish and re-established it. Why our states want to abolish it?
First read this: Tomorrow - a myth? Living in a city means even you are responsible for it. Right?
I heard about the white that it improves the concentration while studying in noisy area ..is it really work . Is it harmful to my ears ..i am using Nokia...
John C. Houbolt, an engineer whose contributions to the U.S. space program were vital to NASA’s successful moon landing in 1969, has died. He was 95. As NASA describes on...