Name The Process.

I am having a steel sheet of 0.8 mm thickness. Now I want to punch it so as to produce a protruding surface. The depth of protruding surface is 5 mm. Should I call it embossing, stamping or what?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    We use a lot of this in manufacture. If it is a perforation with raised edges, it is done in two stages. First smaller size holes of the required shape are punched. In a second operation the holes are enlarged to the drawing size with raised edges by an extrusion tool.
    If there is no hole, then we use a single step embossing operation provided that the projection is not more than about 2 mm on a 0.6 or 0.8 mm sheet.
    Larger projections may need a forming or drawing operation.
  • Gauti1123
    Gauti1123
    Is there anything to find the thickness of a perforated sheet which will be under flow pressure.???
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Gauti1123
    Is there anything to find the thickness of a perforated sheet which will be under flow pressure.???
    Not clear. Do you want a means to calculate thickness of a perforated pressure to with stand some maximum pressure or some way of measuring the thickness of a plate already in service and not accessible for physical measurement?
    Determination of the minimum thickness of Orifice Plates and Restrictions:
    Orifice Plate Thicknesses
  • Gauti1123
    Gauti1123
    A.V.Ramani
    Not clear. Do you want a means to calculate thickness of a perforated pressure to with stand some maximum pressure or some way of measuring the thickness of a plate already in service and not accessible for physical measurement?
    Determination of the minimum thickness of Orifice Plates and Restrictions:
    The process is in strainers where the perforated sheet is designed to filter the debris. I want to calculate the thk of the perforated plate under pressure/stress.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Gauti1123
    The process is in strainers where the perforated sheet is designed to filter the debris. I want to calculate the thk of the perforated plate under pressure/stress.
    Then the equation in my post should help.
  • Gauti1123
    Gauti1123
    May I know that equation please??? will it relate to Collapsible pressure?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Did you visit the site?
    All details are given there.
  • Gauti1123
    Gauti1123
    really sorry sir. I'm new to this forum and so it is difficult for me to find your posts and sites. Can you please guide me for this time??? please.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Gauti1123
    really sorry sir. I'm new to this forum and so it is difficult for me to find your posts and sites. Can you please guide me for this time??? please.
    In my reply to your question I had given a link, which I repeat:
    The equation in that site should solve your problem. You may have to approximate for the beta in the equation. What I suggest is that you can try with beta = 0. That will give you a slightly larger thickness. Otherwise find the total area of all the perforations, find the diameter of a circle with the same area and use that value for d in beta = d/D. You must get values for shear stress for the material of the disc that you want to use as also other values like diameter D of the disc.
  • Gauti1123
    Gauti1123
    Dear sir,
    Thank you fr your answers
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    The correct term is Forming, however if you are using heat the term would be Forging.
    Stamping is if you were cutting out circular portions of the sheet. Embossing is used to create more intricate design on sheet metal where the sheet is fed through matching male and female die rollers.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Project Abstract / Summary : ABSTRACT In the world of computers, Networking is the practice of linking two or more computing devices together for the purpose of sharing data. Now...
Whenever there's a fire, the photo-electric smoke sensors in use today can efficiently detect large smoke particles, but are of little or no use if the smoke particles are really...
How a sixteen year old girl is trying to reduce gender inequality with an enterprise: https://smallbusiness.foxbusiness.co...eneur-aims-to-help-girls-find-beauty-in-stem/
Project Abstract / Summary : Document Translator has developed for translating document message into voice message. Document translator working with scanner, so it’s work based on technology of Twain and...
If you've appeared for the GATE examination this year, but aren't too hopeful about the GATE score, do not lose heart. There are plenty of examinations other than GATE that...