MX-6 Evo Is World's First 3D Printed Bicycle

MX-6 Evo is the world's first 3D printed bicycle developed using metal 3D printer - yep, the printer that prints metallic 3D parts which can be assembled to form structures. The 3D printing was handled by Renishaw - UK's one & only manufacturer with metal-based additive manufacturing machine capable of printing metal parts using CAD designs. Called 'MX-6 Evo', the bike was designed by Empire Cycles to make the most out of the metallic 3D printing capabilities of Renishaw. The team together created a titanium frame for the bike using various 3D printed parts.

mx6evo

A special alloy of titanium was used for printing. Titanium allows for the much required high ratio of strength/weight - ideal for mountain bikes. Renishaw's special laser cutting machine, AM250 was used for the job. A high power laser, called ytterbium fiber laser was deployed to burn the alloy powder to meld individual parts together. An adhesive was used to form the final structure for the bike.

The MX-6 Evo bike design allowed for 33% reduction in weight as compared to the regular Aluminum version along with 6x the overall strength. The bike will be available for display at the London Bike Show.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    its stunning.Can we expect a bike upnext¿
  • Chaitanya Kukde
    Chaitanya Kukde
    I guess in the next 50 years or so, the only gift a newly wed couple will require will be a 3D printer
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Chaitanya Kukde
    I guess in the next 50 years or so, the only gift a newly wed couple will require will be a 3D printer
    All I need is a printer that can print money and gold coins.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Kaustubh Katdare
    All I need is a printer that can print money and gold coins.
    Adds to one of the major risks of 3D Printing!!!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

by U sing wat type of magnets, we bring magnetic field in ceiling fan??? electro or permanent???? if it s electro,then can we use permanent magnets to create a magnetic...
Hey, this morning I got this crazy dream which I would like to share with you. I saw that I made a time machine and tried to go back in...
hye friends,, when is isro exam...? Did they released notification..? for btech students 2014 passouts...??
Folks, hurry to Shopclues.com. Awesome deals. I just ordered a Monster Beats by Dr.Dre Headphones for Rs220!!!!!! P.S.: Let me know what you grab!!!! Re P.P.S: Shop at your own...
hello!! i take programming class, i gat this question about the basic programing tools, i try google it and check it out in youtube but i don't get a final...