Multiple Display with Single CPU

Hello,
I want to use two display screen with single CPU. Right now my CPU is having one VGA port so I would like to have another additional HDMI/VGA port so I can use multiple display on my CPU.
I come to know about graphics card option. Is it only option or is there any other way to achieve this?
My purpose for this is to use display as Split Screen.

Replies

• Big_B
    Big_B
    Not Tested: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think if you want to split display; you will have to upgrade your machine with a GPU that supports multiple ports. Check out the options from NVIDIA. But before suggesting anything, I'd like to know how do you plan to use multiple monitors? Split Screen or Extended Screen?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    #-Link-Snipped-#:
    Right now I can not update my machine as there are many things that I need to change if I go with that option.
    Yes, I want to use Split Screen. Let me update my first post also.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Big_B
    Not Tested: #-Link-Snipped-#
    I didn't get this thing. I need some hardware solution which adds up port on my machine.
  • Big_B
    Big_B
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
  • Big_B
    Big_B
    Harshad Italiya
    Still ! As my machine have only one VGA how can I connect two monitor with it? ๐Ÿ‘€
    Oops! You definitely Need Hardware for that, my mistake. I didn't understand properly. ๐Ÿ˜ฏ
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Harshad Italiya
    Hello,
    I come to know about graphics card option. Is it only option or is there any other way to achieve this?
    My purpose for this is to use display as Split Screen.
    GFX is cheap and better option IMHO. Another option is to select Motherboard that ships with VGA and DVI-D/HDMI too, I suppose(I haven't tried this, yet). I have tried with GPU and it's easy as pie. Just edit Xorg.conf and reboot!
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Abhishek Rawal
    GFX is cheap and better option IMHO.
    I was reading somewhere and I read few people saying that if I add graphics card then I can't actually split my screen but that will just show same screen on both monitor.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Harshad Italiya
    I was reading somewhere and I read few people saying that if I add graphics card then I can't actually split my screen but that will just show same screen on both monitor.
    I don't know how you do in windows. In Linux, I will just use multiple X by configuring Xorg.conf for Xinerama. It's pretty simple in Linux, don't know how it works in Windows or OS X.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Abhishek Rawal
    I don't know how you do in windows. In Linux, I will just use multiple X by configuring Xorg.conf for Xinerama. It's pretty simple in Linux, don't know how it works in Windows or OS X.
    I got solution for this thing. Now I want to find the best suitable graphics card.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Harshad Italiya
    I got solution for this thing. Now I want to find the best suitable graphics card.
    Yes, display thing is depends on graphics card but your single CPU needs to be powerful enough. I am not sure what should be minimum clock-speed for multiple display.
    For the graphics any ATI Redeon series with 7xxx (6 to 10K) would be sufficient for two monitors.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Anoop Kumar
    Yes, display thing is depends on graphics card but your single CPU needs to be powerful enough. I am not sure what should be minimum clock-speed for multiple display.
    For the graphics any ATI Redeon series with 7xxx (6 to 10K) would be sufficient for two monitors.
    I was not able to decide from ATI but I found this better compare to price and all :- #-Link-Snipped-# Is this OK?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Harshad Italiya
    I was not able to decide from ATI but I found this better compare to price and all :- #-Link-Snipped-# Is this OK?
    If you can spend 3K more, better get R7 instead. However, it should work (?). It's just too damn weak graphics card. Even my APU can perform better than that graphics card.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I'll join the chorus in recommending the R7, specifically the 250.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Abhishek Rawal
    If you can spend 3K more, better get R7 instead. However, it should work (?). It's just too damn weak graphics card. Even my APU can perform better than that graphics card.
    ash
    I'll join the chorus in recommending the R7, specifically the 250.
    But guys I am not planning to play game I just want to widen my current monitor screen as I am having two monitor so I can utilize that and have reference documents open on one and coding goes on another one.
    Do you still think the one I suggest above is still weak to perform just those things?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Harshad Italiya
    Do you still think the one I suggest above is still weak to perform just those things?
    What if one day you like to play ๐Ÿ˜ .
    Better to have future safe gadgets. As you said you have a low configuration CPU. If you have to get a better CPU you can easily pair with powerful graphics card.
    I think it's worth to spend extra bucks in future.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Anoop Kumar
    What if one day you like to play ๐Ÿ˜ .
    Better to have future safe gadgets. As you said you have a low configuration CPU. If you have to get a better CPU you can easily pair with powerful graphics card.
    I think it's worth to spend extra bucks in future.
    No, This is my office machine and I never going to play game on this machine ever ! ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Here is my machine configuration.
    image4144 โ€‹
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Well, you better get large screen monitor then. No, I am not being sarcastic or tryna be funny. But, if that's how u want to work, like doing something on one part of monitor and coding on other part, then it's better to have Bigger monitor screen.

But, that alone won't do 'cuz windows is shit. They haven't even implemented 'Tiling' features in OS, like WTF! It's 19th century OS or what ? Use Linux and switch to i3 - improved tiling wm and you'll see how awesome it is to work with tiles. Saves lots of time and you really utilize the space. Check the screenshot :
    2014-09-29-202952_3840x2160_scrotโ€‹

i3WM is best for work, and better with large screen monitors. Screw dual-monitors!
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    #-Link-Snipped-# :
    Thank you for suggestion. I will surely give them a try when we fully transport our work to linux for now we can't switch to linux as there are many things that we need ready as we can't afford time to develop few things by ourself for linux.
    But as now a days I can see the new tools that we are planning to use are coming with linux support so hopefully we are going to switch fully to linux in upcoming few years. ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Harshad Italiya
    But guys I am not planning to play game I just want to widen my current monitor screen as I am having two monitor so I can utilize that and have reference documents open on one and coding goes on another one.
    R7 250 is just average for gaming, but its a great card for productivity applications. GFX cards are one of those things you'd want to invest in on the long run so that it doesn't get obsolete too quickly. Also, if you need to choose between DDR5 & DDR3, pick DDR5.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Update1:
    I have purchased Geoforce 210. But not able to get it working with dual monitor.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Update2:
    I find out the solution and updated above thread with the same.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

MOTO G - THIRD GENERATION : WEIGHT : 155g CAMERA : Rear - 13MP Front - 5MP OS : ANDROID 5.1.1 LOLLIPOP MEMORY: EXT - upto 32GB INT - 16GB...
Videocon d2h app has been launched on both Android and iOS platforms. The app lets you watch some of the leading TV channels from the comfort of your smartphone or...
ANGRY BIRD 2 Now available on Google Playstore , Android and Apple I-TUNES..............
from which year i have to start to prepare for gate ? and i am in civil engineering can any body plz help me
Firstly it was really a challenge to me and my colleagues to make a car without appropriate knowledge, but still me and my team mates didn't gave up and started...