MTech From NIT/IIT or MS from Abroad Universities

Hello crazy engineers' friends ,

First off I'd like to congratulate you for the excellent work . You guys are doing a great job . Keep it up .

Now I'd like to post a question which could have been very evident from the title of my thread . I have completed b.tech IT . Currently I am employed in a reputed software firm . Having an year of experience . But I thought of quitting this and pursuing higher studies . I even went ahead and booked a slot for gre which falls on 4th. august of this year . But due to various reasons such as financial support , getting a job post ms , followed by various h1b visa constraints and so on , I gave a thought on doing m.tech in iit or nit , which more or less in ( academic wise )quite the same , plus various on-campus placements .

I have the following questions .

1. How are job prospects after m.tech in these colleges ?
2. What will be the pay scale ? My assumption is 15-30 lakhs . Because I am dreaming of getting such an offer . Is it true that I can get such offers , if I work hard?
3. Right now my pay is around 4lakhs per annum . Hence I thought of giving my career a boost by pursuing higher studies and getting a good offer then .

Please help me with your suggestions

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Void Runner
    Void Runner
    Ramamurthi
    1. How are job prospects after m.tech in these colleges ?
    In old IITs it is quite good. Mostly people get placed. I cannot say the same for NITs or other institutes or even the newer IITs (including IIT Roorkee and Guwahati --> If job is your concern please don't go for any post 2000 IIT).

Ramamurthi
    2. What will be the pay scale ? My assumption is 15-30 lakhs . Because I am dreaming of getting such an offer . Is it true that I can get such offers , if I work hard?
    Only in old well established IITs - IIT Bombay, IIT Delhi, IIT Kanpur and IIT Madras. Forget about all other institutes, this kind of pay scale won't come. You can expect something in the range of 6-8 Lakhs maximum and about 4.5 LPA average placement (I am not counting non-IITs/NITs).

Ramamurthi
    3. Right now my pay is around 4lakhs per annum . Hence I thought of giving my career a boost by pursuing higher studies and getting a good offer then .
    M.Tech is of little value to industry. You are better off trying for an MBA. M.Tech is for R&D activities, universities and research organizations. Very few industrial organizations perform significant R&D in India.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I agree with all the points that Void Runner has shared here.
    Attached below if the official placement report with due salary package listed for all the branches of engineering at IIT Madras. I hope it might help.
  • Ramamurthi
    Ramamurthi
    Ankita Katdare
    I agree with all the points that Void Runner has shared here.
    Attached below if the official placement report with due salary package listed for all the branches of engineering at IIT Madras. I hope it might help.

but the report (as attached by you for computer science says , a pay of some more than 12 lakhs per annum , by certain companies ??? isnt that true ?? if i work hard , i can get it rite ?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Looks like this is an eternal dilemma for engineering graduates in India. A lot of students are sending me messages to address this question.

Tagging #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-#
    Just some people who have done either MS or M.Tech. Let's hear it from them! 😀
  • Shreyas Sule
    Shreyas Sule
    I agree with #-Link-Snipped-#. I am not sure about courses in IITs and NITs for Software/IT field and jobs after MTech. I can give you some insight into Masters degree in US. Most of my friends with 2 to 4 years of experience in IT industry are in US pursuing Masters in Management Information System. If you intend to stay in IT field after your graduation, with a mix of IT, business analytics and managerial role, this is a good option. Education loan from a reputed bank could cover most of your expenses and I agree huge cost of MS can appear daunting at first. After MS in MIS, people usually get jobs between $70,000 - $75,000 per year depending on your work experience, graduate coursework, location, type of company, etc. If you have a Computer Science background and have absolutely strong interest in your undergraduate core subjects, Masters in Computer Science or similar degree can also be an option. From what I have heard from my friends who have done Mtech in Electrical Engineering from IITs, companies in India do not pay MTechs a very high salary as compared to Btech from IIT or NIT. Sad but true. I am looking for MTech students' viewpoint on this.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    M.Tech from an IIT is not as valued as a B.Tech from an IIT. Void Runner forgot to mention IIT Kharagpur, which is as top notch as the rest of the IITs he listed. He is probably right about the newer IITs.

And may be, M.Tech from an IIT is probably the same as an MS, may be. The education you get in a MS degree is very much research oriented, you actually feel you have some sort of Mastery over something at least. I have not done a M.Tech from an IIT, so this is a very crude hypothesis.

If you just want a boost in your salary, go for an MBA. M.Tech/M.S is to be pursued when you really are in love with your technical side. Of course, post M.Tech packages cannot compare to the post M.S packages, but then that is already established. Post M.tech package of 15-30 lakhs would be pushing the envelope a little too much, especially with just 1 year of work-ex, but you never know. May be your are extremely super talented and a firm wants you, they might do everything to get you.

M.S is more investment. I had to take a big loan to get through it. So best of luck, make a wise, informed and financially sound decision.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Dear friends here is a question from 'Mechanical Vibrations by Rao' ..... The statement pointed by the red arrow is full of confusion because it is stating that the displacement...
Can i get job without degree with the help of doing certification? Currently i am doing CCNA. I need 2 more years to complete my BE but i cant wait...
After launching a few mid-range tablets and phablets HP has ventured into the entry-level segment with its latest Android tablet. The HP 7 Plus Tablet is the most affordable tablet...
As per recent news, the Gorakhpur-bound Gorakhdham express rammed with the goods train near Chureb railway station in Sant Kabir Nagar district in Uttar Pradesh. Atleast 10 are feared to...
The engineers at NASA have been long working on developing technology that can enable sending live animals into the space and on other planets. This time the news has it...