Mozilla Firefox 24th Edition Promises Faster Mobile Browsing Experience

Mozilla Firefox 24 was unveiled today, and it includes several updates for the Android version of the browser. For the desktop users, the cluttered browser could be killed by clicking the newly added option 'Close tabs to the right', which is placed right above the 'Reopen closed tab option'. The desktop version even offers a scrollbar style for Mac users operating OS X 10.7 or higher. Firefox's Social feature lets users access certain features of social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter via the browser's UI, and now users can simply break the chat windows to separately attend to them by dragging them out. The update even introduces us to several performance and security tweaks.

slide

Also, Firefox for Android now comes with default support for WebRTC (web Real-Time Communications), a new HTML5 API that allows real-time communication which is like video calling via browser. The WebRTC components supported by the mobile browser include getUserMedia (gUM- offers access to the user's webcam and microphone, PeerConnection (enables calls from one browser to another), DataChannels (establishes peer-to-peer data transfer between browsers). Mozilla had already deployed the WebRTC desktop version with Firefox 22, but it's just now that the application can be used via mobile. Also, it's good to know that the WebRTC API doesn't demand any additional plugin or software to function, and rumors are that even Google is planning to adopt it for its Hangout service.

The updated Firefox for Android additionally offers a quickshare feature that adds a one-tap menu automatically for your most used sharing service. Say like you share a lot of stuff on Twitter, then the Share Menu shall directly share on Twitter as soon as you tap on it. The new Firefox also supports bump sharing on NFC-enabled devices, from which users shall be able to share stuff with another user by simply tapping their two Android handsets.

The updated Reader feature in Firefox for Android now lets users shift between serif and sans serif fonts. They also have the conversion facility of 'dark mode' to 'light mode' depending on the light's intensity in the room. Manual conversion is also possible depending on user's convenience. Long tapping the Reader icon in the URL bar adds the e-post to the user's reading list, which can also be accessed for offline reading.

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    There were many security fixes for 24.0 version. Not many major changes in UI/Options other than "Close Tabs to Right", "Close other tabs","Undo close tabs" & "Pin Tabs" which are very useful .

snapshot1
    Haven't tested FF 24.0 for Android.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Mozilla is upgrading itself and now it gives a good competition to Opera in the mobile arena but its effectiveness or dominancy over PC version is a question.
    will try mozilla phone browser and post comments soon.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    Mozilla is upgrading itself and now it gives a good competition to Opera in the mobile arena but its effectiveness or dominancy over PC version is a question.
    I don't understand why do you feel that 'effectiveness or dominancy' of PC version of Firefox is not possible ?
    I agree that mozilla is a good competitor to chrome but I still feelchrome has best UI.
    Opera is definitely not in contention in pc web browser.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    I agree that mozilla is a good competitor to chrome but I still feelchrome has best UI.
    Opera is definitely not in contention in pc web browser.
    Chrome sucks when it comes to streaming live events especially from Livestream.com

I got fed up trying to fix that issue

On the other hand the size of FF is too small and the features it gives in this small size has no competitors in any arena
    I haven't seen any problem with chrome in streaming and Firefox User interface is not a eyecatching one.I agree that this small sized browser do well but who restricted them to do so?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Google is well known in the developer community for their hackathons. Google and a Google-NASSCOM joint venture 10,000 startups is organising a 24 hour developer hackathon on 4th 5th October,...
Sony GTK-N1BT wireless speakers were first exhibited by the company at IFA, Berlin earlier this month. The speakers have finally hit Indian shores and have been priced at Rs 16,990/-....
Q. xyz+xyz+xyz=zzz Find the value of xyz? condition: values of xyz must be same throughout the expression.
Hi, i'm studying btech 4 year mechanical in India. I am preparing to write Gre as i'm interested in doing ms in US. As i went through many articles ,...
Maruti Suzuki has yet again made its comeback by introducing all new Maruti Suzuki’s “Swift XDI” edition which will be a limited one and we feel sorry because this cute...