Movie discussion: Interstellar

Anyone watched interstellar, please give your review without any SPOILER

See producer himself doing Maths and Physics about the movie.

I am seeing lots of article about things to study before watching Interstellar☕.
It's not a surprise, because it Nolan.
Just like earlier movie of Nolan, Elan's Blog - Why you should watch Inception twice? .
Is it worth watching in 70mm IMAX?

Replies

• Gollapinni Karthik Sharma
    Gollapinni Karthik Sharma
    Haven't seen the movie but people reviews say its awesome and worth watching in Imax.
  • micheal john
    micheal john
    Watched interstellar on 7th November, movie is good till last 10 to 15 mins.
    i didn't like the climax
    i was disappointed (huge fan of chris nolan)
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    I don't know if it was just me, but I had hard time understanding what Matthew McConaughey was saying. Felt like he was chewing a gum while doing the shoot... :/

Otherwise movie was good. Typical Nolan shit. Camera's don't give much of an hint in his movie. You gotta read and watch more about it to understand and appreciate afterwards. Till then it's something which is forced down to your stomach for 3 hours.

I would suggest a read about theory of relativity, wormholes, blackholes before watching the movie might be helpful before watching the movie.
  • Gollapinni Karthik Sharma
    [Prototype]
    I don't know if it was just me, but I had hard time understanding what Matthew McConaughey was saying. Felt like he was chewing a gum while doing the shoot... :/

Otherwise movie was good. Typical Nolan shit. Camera's don't give much of an hint in his movie. You gotta read and watch more about it to understand and appreciate afterwards. Till then it's something which is forced down to your stomach for 3 hours.

I would suggest a read about theory of relativity, wormholes, blackholes before watching the movie might be helpful before watching the movie.
    Ha ha! i agree with you! Although i havent watched the movie but I just heard from my friends saying that movie needs lot of back ground check or sound knowledge of some new dimension and all!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I guess I'm among the minority that didn't like the movie! First - the entire story-line is typically "USA (NASA) tries to save the world (human race)" and then on-screen drama looks like a documentary.

I was dozing off (we had opted for the 10:30PM show!) when the protagonist keeps pressing several buttons to dock his spaceship to the mother-ship.

The next "I gotta get out of here" moment for me was the scene when the two astronauts do a bollywood style fight on the ice-planet. 👎

Plus, you've gotta understand why those guys rotate the spaceship when moving (refer to your basic physics books to read about centrifugal force!). You also gotta have at least some idea (and interest) about knowing what a worm-hole is, what space-time-continuum is, why time slows down when you approach the speed of light. On the top of that; you've gotta prepare your mind to handle a totally depressing story.

PS: I still couldn't get why they showed an Indian Drone in the first few minutes of the movie. Someone simplify it for me, please?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    sound knowledge of some new dimension and all!
    That is 5th dimension 😲.
    And yes, McConaughey does talk like he has Shikar Khutaka all the time in his mouth. (Watch True Detective) 😁.
    For the record this is LAST movie shot in 70mm analog camera (Dond't know what that mean, but that is highest possible quality till date). Hydearabad IMAX is showing this format👍👍.
    After this all IMAX movies will be digital only.
  • micheal john
    micheal john
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I still couldn't get why they showed an Indian Drone in the first few minutes of the movie. Someone simplify it for me, please?
    just for distraction😁
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    In one line it is a typical Nolan style flick. Either you will feel it or it will go over your head. Coming to review acting is perfect, be it Mathew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway or Micheal Caine, all were brilliant. Though for the first time Matt Damon wasn't that impressive! Coming of story line, it was amazing. Only Nolan can tie up 2 extra dimensions and execute them beautifully. Yes, you do need to know about some basic (or may be advanced!) science to grasp the awesomeness to the movie. And with Nolan, you can never leave behind the struggle of a man with his emotions!

Yes, it's not a perfect science, there are just theoretical proofs available on the subject, but Kip Thorne did a good job. Coming to people who didn't like it, (yes #-Link-Snipped-#! )well, I pity you. You should have opted for a morning 8:30 show!

One last thing, go for IMAX only, if possible in Hyderabad!
  • micheal john
    micheal john
    Pensu
    In one line it is a typical Nolan style flick. Either you will feel it or it will go over your head.
    this movie is not in nolan style
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Kaustubh Katdare
    PS: I still couldn't get why they showed an Indian Drone in the first few minutes of the movie. Someone simplify it for me, please?
    Because, taking name of India shall attract more Indian audience. Another reason is, showing problem stated in movie is global, #-Link-Snipped-#.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - To each his own 😀 . I actually went into dreams when watching Inception 😛.

Those who're interested may watch the theory of everything and nothing. I couldn't get the links on YouTube. I'm still searching and post the videos here as soon as I find them. #-Link-Snipped-# - do you have the links to the BBC (?) documentaries?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I loved the movie. It's rarely that we get to see such themes in theaters and the experience was truly one of a kind.
    Bought this book - 'The World Without Us' from Amazon after watching the movie.
    These are the documentaries -
    Everything -

Nothing -

[Prototype]
    In addition to ^ this - artificial gravity, singularity, time & space continuum, gargantua, time dilation, time warp.

😀 If you read the concepts and go, the movie might just get more enjoyable and less confusing.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    The most amazing science fiction (I am hesitant to call it fiction) movie ever. This is the one which shows correct Physics. You have to know a lot about Relativity and Quantum Gravity, which will introduce you to the concepts of wormholes, Black Holes (your normal knowledge of black holes is not sufficient here, do read about rotating black holes , just Wikipedia Kerr/Kerr-Newman black holes or at least read about Penrose Process), most important Frame Dragging , time dilation, and have to know about basic physics. This is more than a movie, this is the future.

Reasons why this is a NASA movie:
    1) It is made in USA (If I was a US citizen, I would be reluctant to make a movie in the USA and show the space company to be ESA/ISRO).
    2) NASA has been a frontrunner in space exploration. We know how people backlashed at Mangalyaan, so others are yet to catch up on space exploration.

Reasons why this is something which will blow your mind:
    1) Have you ever seen a movie which has been originally scripted and assisted in filming by a CALTECH physicist?
    2) Filming this, physicists got insights into Astrophysics and Computer Science and one technical paper was published in each of the respective domains. How many times has this happened before in the history of film-making?
    2) This is not something you can forget, this is something which will inspire generations to come and one of those generations will get us out of the planet. "Humanity was born here, but humanity is not meant to die here." Truth has been spoken.
    3) None of the movie is based on sci-fi bullshit. If you can dig deep enough, which you should, you will realize there is a supporting Physics theory.
    4) This is a rarest of rare chance for us to look at the future, ahead of time. THIS is what we will do in the coming decades, especially at the rate at which we are killing ourselves anyway.

Reasons why this is signature Nolan:
    1) Because with all the film-making genius around us, it is the vision and the bravery that was the parting line between Nolan and others. Nolan probably knew this might bomb financially since he made it scientific and no explanations were given. He did not dumb down the film for the general masses. And for good.
    2) He blows you mind anyway, not every Nolan flick has to be an Inception. He blows you away with the visualization of the Black Hole, with the most realistic rendering of a Wormhole, with the on-screen depiction of the most novel idea (really!) - Penrose Process. This is NOT easy! This is why Kip Thorne was on board, which was another win- unification of academics and art.

Whichever way I look at it, I feel lucky to have been alive the day Interstellar was introduced to humanity. This is a big leap for Cinema. This is Science driving Cinema.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Shashank Moghe
    with the most realistic rendering of a Wormhole
    Wormholes are still theoretical! So there cannot be a realistic rendering; unless it's proven to exist.

Shashank Moghe
    He blows you away with the visualization of the Black Hole
    Same as above.

Shashank Moghe
    None of the movie is based on sci-fi bullshit
    The entire movie is a science fiction!
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    I said sci-fi bullshit, meaning all the bullshit they "make-up" under the name of "science" fiction. In reality its all make-believe fiction, not science. Interstellar is not bullshit sci-fi, in the sense that it is all truth based, in science proven theories. It is more reality than fiction I would say, for this is soon to be a reality. I would call it temporal fiction.

Wormholes are allowed by Relativity, it is one of the solutions of relativity. We have not observed it yet, that is all. The same was the case before Black Holes were observed by humans, Black Holes were predicted by Relativity and it was equally unbelievable until they were actually found. Today we are making movies about Black Holes. It is just a matter of time, with Wormholes. And more often than not, it is a visionary like Nolan, who comes along and things get flowing.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Wormholes are still theoretical! So there cannot be a realistic rendering; unless it's proven to exist.
    Why not? if theoretically proven then why not visualize it.
    Here are some tweets from Neil deGrasse Tyson, COSMOS guy
    In #-Link-Snipped-#: The producers knew exactly how, why, & when you’d achieve zero-G in space.
    In #-Link-Snipped-#: Experience Einstein's Curvature of Space as no other feature film has shown.
    In #-Link-Snipped-#: And in the real universe, strong gravitational fields measurably slow passage of time relative to others.
    In #Interstellar: They explore a planet near a Black Hole. Personally, I’d stay as far the hell away from BlackHoles as I can
    Mysteries of #Interstellar: If wormholes exist among our planets, then why can’t one open up near Earth instead of Saturn.
    Best one:
    In #-Link-Snipped-#, if you didn’t understand the plot, there is no published book to help you.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Anoop Kumar
    Why not? if theoretically proven then why not visualize it.
    My focus isn't on 'visualising' it. All I'm saying that the theory that predicts the wormholes itself is incomplete. They're still working on it.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Relativity predicts wormholes. Its not incomplete. It has been proven to be correct. It was proven by Eddington in 1919. Gravity Probe-B was the latest one to confirm Relativity, for the nth time. Relativity is proven. Its us that are still grasping it, and are having trouble measuring its effects.
  • Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    The film isn't scientifically accurate, Stephen Hawkings has theorized that if an object like a human were to enter a black hole, that person would have been stretched to infinity first and it would be impossible for he/she to materialize let alone be found on the outskirts of Saturn. 😀 Look at it as just a movie, it looked cool and Nolan had to scrape to make the ending work.

Also, I don't remember the last time when a film inspired such intense decisions.😘

Those interested in learning more of wormholes, back hole etc. should check out the BBC documentaries hosted by Brian Cox. Start with "Do you know what time it is?". Later on move to Horizon and Wonders Of The Universe, they're really good.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Documentaries provide an ambiguous learning point for a totally backgroundless mind. They are meant to be shows, they have to make it interesting. If you really want to study about Relativity /QM, read books, watch lectures.

Besides, differential stretching near a black hole is called "spaghettification", in astrophysics slang, and that is the only thing shown incorrectly in Interstellar. As for the "found near Saturn" thing, he did make a point about the Black Hole being put in place by a higher dimension being from a future time. I understand this was stretching a bit, but you cannot disprove he wasn't right there. There is a valid theory of our entire universe being a simulation. So according to that, Nolan might as well be true. The whole point is, beyond the Event Horizon, is the director's imagination. No physicist dead or alive can disprove what Nolan has shown to have happened beyond the Event Horizon. Besides, it was the higher dimensional beings that Used gravity as the 5th dimension to change time (4th dimension) by making it a physical dimension. It was that fact with which he got himself out of the black hole (I think he intentionally left it unexplained for us to battle it out).

To call Interstellar "incorrect" in a stroke of a sentence is harsh. We would not be having this discussion had it not been for Nolan's spectacularly magnanimous and scientifically correct (except the spaghettification part) effort. Most of the people who watched and are now talking about Interstellar would have died not knowing what a wormhole is.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The whole concept of bending space is beyone the brains of majority of people . Wormhole is still very difficult to understand and make sense of.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Well that is because people expose themselves suddenly to it. I guess people would be equally flabbergasted if you exposed someone without any schooling to Equations of motion.

People should have a gradual thought development process leading one to these concepts. Then they become second nature to your thinking.
  • Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    I loved the way how Nolan used Time and Gravity as physical dimensions in the film, and later twisted these very dimensions to build a 3D world within it. Way too deep (and awesome!) that was.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    I just hope somebody, Indian, should go ahead and do something fractionally daring as this. I am sure he/she will be extremely successful. Last time somebody did that, No Smoking was born. Although I feel it was the most awesome "mind == blown" movie Bollywood has ever produced, it was a bomb at the box office. People criticized it like F. Now that Anurag Kashyap is a big league director, he should have another shot at something like this.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Hollywood movies are made for different audience than Bollywood. There were times I used to think Hollywood movies are superior; but then I found out that their audience is totally different. Plus, the budget Hollywood productions enjoy allows them to do movies like Jurassic Park and Gravity.

I personally love the Neeraj Pande style in Bollywood. His films don't do fantastically well on the box office; but at least he offers a mix of both the worlds; a Hollywood style story line presented in Bollywood style.

As far as Interstellar is concerned, I didn't like the movie despite being a 'science' movie. Just not a type of entertainment I'd love to see on screen. 😀
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Hollywood movies are made for different audience than Bollywood. There were times I used to think Hollywood movies are superior; but then I found out that their audience is totally different. Plus, the budget Hollywood productions enjoy allows them to do movies like Jurassic Park and Gravity.

I personally love the Neeraj Pande style in Bollywood. His films don't do fantastically well on the box office; but at least he offers a mix of both the worlds; a Hollywood style story line presented in Bollywood style.

As far as Interstellar is concerned, I didn't like the movie despite being a 'science' movie. Just not a type of entertainment I'd love to see on screen. 😀
    Well, thats personal choice then. If you prefer A Wednesday or Special 26 over Interstellar, wait.. I cannot digest that. Too heavy a thought for me.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Yup, Everyone should use Linux based distros 😁☕
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Well, I just came back from Interstellar, IMAX hyderabad.
    Two things,
    I did really liked the movie and the 5th dimension concept is well presented.
    and,
    There are some audience, who were well educated (Talking in english) until one of them said "Morgan Freeman is going to die after watching Nolan's bad presentation of wormholes ".
    Because those guys believe Morgan freeman is the scientist who gave theory of wormholes.
    [​IMG]
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Simplest explanation of 4th and 5th dimension. If you can understand this, that fine otherwise there is no other person on this planet earth, can explain better 😁

I watched Interstellar 2nd time in IMAX and boy, it's worth it😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I want to sell my charger in market and i want how to sale to some company. Kindly reply.
How to configure intranet for inter office communications using MPLS. Can anyone Please suggest
A researcher duo from University of Washington may well be on their way to achieve the closest possible thing to telepathy today. The recent efforts by Rajesh Rao and Andrea...
Raspberry Pi, the mini computer everyone loves has been released in a new avatar; smaller and cheaper than its earlier version. UK based Raspberry Pi Foundation has announced Raspberry Pi...
i have only 53 % in BE (electronics and communication). i am willing to do IES am i eligible for it