Motorola Is Next In Line To Launch Smartwatch This Year; Plans Revealed

The smartwatch war is surely going to heat up as Motorola is planning to jump back and take on the likes of Google, Samsung and Apple in the wearables market. Smartwatches and wearables are one of the hottest segments in mobile technology today. With the launch of MotoG and MotoX, Motorola is riding high on success and now it plans to launch a smartwatch later this year.

According to a report in The Verge, the senior vice president of Motorola Rick Osterloh has shared the plans about their smartwatch being customer-centric so that it addresses consumer issues like style and battery life. Osterloh promised that the finished item will be more a like jewellery piece than any ugly tech. As it can be noticed the majority of the smartwatches at the MWC -- the Samsung Gear 2, the Huawei TalkBand, the Sony Smartwatch 2 -- are all high on tech and low on looks. This news was revealed at a panel discussion at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. Currently, the wearables market is completely dominated by the Pebble and Samsung’s line of Gear watches with a Google smartwatch, built by LG is expected to be announced next month which will be available in the market later this year. An Apple smartwatch is also round the corner.

Moto_smartwatch
Motorola’s earlier efforts weren’t known for being stylish or having a great battery life. The ill-fated MotoACTV didn’t have a good battery backup. So it looks like the company is taking efforts to overcome these problems. No further details about the product such as probable release date, price was not disclosed but Osterloh did mention that it was an important area for the company. Let us hope that company’s next watch is a marked improvement over company’s last attempt to build a smartwatch. With Moto G and Moto X receiving critical acclaims, expectations are high.

Do you think Motorola can make it three in a row? Share your views in comments.

Source: Motorola plans to launch a smartwatch later this year - The Verge

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Looks like there's no looking back now. Smartwatches are going to take the common man by the storm!
  • Chirayu Samarth
    Chirayu Samarth
    Yes...
    Like smartphones, smartwatches are going to take the tech world by storm..
  • Jason Estibeiro
    Jason Estibeiro
    I think I'll be happy with a normal wristwatch. I wouldn't want my hand and my pocket vibrating at the same time. 😛
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    It seems everyone is jumping on the same bandwagon without forethought. Wearables can never be perfect in their first iteration, they need to be refined before the launch.
    The only smartwatch which makes perfect sense now is the Qualcomm Toq and Hot Watch (kickstarter complete, arriving soon)

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Adding two new tablets to its portfolio and gallery, Micromax has today launched Micromax Funbook Ultra HD P580 and Micromax Canvas Tab P650E in India. Let us take a look...
TiVo co-founders had revolutionized the way people watch TV by letting us pause and rewind live TV or watch it later by recording it. The founders are now shifting their...
In an attempt to build a truly eco-friendly car, PSA Peugeot Citroën, the French automobile manufacturer has come up with a new technology called 'Hybrid Air' that combines Gasoline internal...
Professors from Indian Institute of Technology Bombay are on their way to develop e-dog which is an ultra-sensitive low cost explosive detector. This e-dog will be able to sense the...
We're fine tuning our server and setting up systems to deal with the traffic spikes. At this time, we've put CE on the new system and that might mean there...