Moto G Android 4.4 Kit Kat firmware upgrade available OTA

The recently launched Motorola G (Moto G) phone shipped with Android 4.3 Jelly Bean and a promise that upgrade to Android 4.4 Kit Kat will be made available soon. I've been reading on twitter and other social media channels that the phone has already began receiving the firmware upgrade over the air (OTA). As of writing this article, the firmware is available for download in Malaysia and is expected to be rolled out in India and other countries as well. Note that it's the 'Dual-SIM' version of the phone that's getting the latest Android 4.4 Kit Kat treatment.

The total download size of the firmware is about 230.7 MB and the version number is 171.44.31.en.03. As always, it's recommended that you install all the OTA updates using Wi-Fi connection instead of your 3G data connections; because it might incur your more charges. The 4.4.2 upgrade brings all the new goodies including an upgraded telephone dialing app (default) and SMS/MMS support in your default Google Hangouts application. You will also notice significant reduction in the overall ROM usage and new transparent notification bars & a 'smarter caller ID'. I learn that the new photo editing options are also being made available with the new firmware. I'm not aware of all the new features and facilities the upgrade brings to the table, but you can always write about them below.

android

How To Upgrade?

If you are a first time Android user, upgrading your android firmware is an easy process. Firmware is the operating system of your phone (like Windows or OSX on your computers). Here are the steps - First of all, turn on the Wi-Fi in your phone using the top drawer menu and make sure that you are connected to a good Internet connection. Then, head over to the phone's settings area -> About Phone section and then tap on the 'Software Update' section. Check if any new firmware upgrade is available. The phone will notify if the firmware upgrade is available, along with information about the version number, total size of the download and a glimpse of the new features you can expect with the firmware.

The upgrade itself isn't new. The Inquirer had noted that the upgrade started rolling out around January 13th in the UK and Germany. Motorola has confirmed that full roll-out of the firmware has already began world-wide.

Indian users of Moto G may check if the firmware upgrade is available in India yet. If it is; please update of all us by mentioning about it below.

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    So its MOTO G to be the first beast to roll out with KITKAT update
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    So its MOTO G to be the first beast to roll out with KITKAT update
    Oh hell NO!
    Abhishek Rawal
    Oh hell NO!
    Why are you saying like this? Sorry I dont understand. My bad.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    Why are you saying like this? Sorry I dont understand. My bad.
    Because Google's Nexus devices are already running on KitKat 4.4.2 😉
    Abhishek Rawal
    Because Google's Nexus devices are already running on KitKat 4.4.2 😉
    Thanks for info.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

WineHQ team has announced the new development release version 1.7.12 with Windows Media Player interface support & 89 total bug-fixes. Along with the inclusion of Windows Media Player interface support,...
I came to know about this concept through the 2012 Movie - The Ship of Theseus. Directed by Anand Gandhi, the film makes you ask questions about identity, justice, beauty,...
KDE Development team is currently working on improving the on-desktop search functionality, Nepomuk; which will be included in the upcoming KDE releases. The iteration of Networked Environment for Personalized Ontology-based...
First of all happy new year to all my sweet and intelligent friends of cean. Now i came to the topic that is the car infotenment system as i know...
I am bit confused as lack of proper knowledge. I have ended yup between two institutes and their courses. Seed Infotech guides me to become software tester to enter IT...