MOM- for those who are interested

pretty old video by DD (published in Nov 2013)
Interested folks can watch it here. The video describes MOM mission, components and activities which the satellite was expected to perform

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    thanks for sharing it
  • avii
    avii
    Live coverage videos:

😀
  • avii
    avii
    NASA's Mars Rover Curiosity:

• durga ch
    durga ch
    I always had this philosophical question.
    From what we know, life forms need oxygen , water and carbon the building block of life. This is from what we know,
    when we look for extraterrestrial life, we try to find life form similar to us.
    Is it not remotely possible that life form elsewhere, really don't need things which otherwise define our existence??
    One answer I got when i posed this question was - the possibilities are endless, but defining a scope of reference is always good. But the question still remains..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - That's actually limiting our research, I believe. Given the uncertanities and the vastness of the Universe, we can't define anything. Random is what we'll have to rely on.

My secret assumption regarding extraterrestrial life is this:-

1. Extra terrestrial life is not technically as advanced as we are, or are just a little more advanced than us; but not to a point where they can contact / find us.

2. Extra terrestrial life is so advanced that they can choose to ignore the Earth. I sometimes believe that the concept of God is nothing but an advanced civilisation that has created Earth and humans and life here on our planet as an experiment. They just continue to monitor us like we monitor bacteria in our labs 😁

3. Life definitely exists on other planets as well. But unless we make H-U-G-E advancement in communication and travel technologies - we'll not be able to do anything about it. Even if we discover life on a planet that is 1 lightyear from us; it'd be almost impossible for us to get there - at least in the near future.

4. Some advance civilisation discovers us in near future and I hope their intentions are nice.

Bottom Line: Life exists somewhere else too, in the Universe.
  • Neda Hashmi
    Neda Hashmi
    Kaustubh Katdare
    2. Extra terrestrial life is so advanced that they can choose to ignore the Earth. I sometimes believe that the concept of God is nothing but an advanced civilisation that has created Earth and humans and life here on our planet as an experiment. They just continue to monitor us like we monitor bacteria in our labs 😁
    I read about this hypothesis in a novel- TIME RIDER.
    Like we are experiments in petri-dish. Like all the signals that we send from Earth, hoping somebody out there can receive those are either not received, or are ignored on purpose.
    And if there is really other world than ours, and if what we consider them to be advanced in technology than what we have today is true, then why haven't we received any signals yet even after having so many powerful receptor?

Or the chances are high that big space agencies like NASA are already in contact with them. or atleast know that they exist.
    Possibilities are endless. We just can wonder what can be and what cannot be.
  • lal
    lal
    My brain starts getting darker when I try to visualise a 'space' where universe is situated. May be I should be looking at it from a different perspective.

Our earth is in the solar system which again is in the milky way and milky way in the universe. Sound and clear! But, when I try to visualise the boundaries of universe, it bites me back! What is it's shape? Or does it even have a shape? Or, are we inside a black hole already but cannot figure as we donot have a reference? Human brain cannot perceive things without a refernce, so sad right!

No one ever said the periodic table is complete!
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    #-Link-Snipped-# : i am not too well versed in chemistry , but atomic structure is well understood. I am ignorant to comment in totality of the matter, but the conclusion that all natural elements are already discovered might be true. For example - all new man made atomic structures are very unstable and are radio active. Based on the complex calculations of number of electrons, number of neutrons , an estimate can be done w.r.t how many such elements can be found in nature. (i really hope i was at-least half clear as what i wanted to stat).
    #-Link-Snipped-# :
    points 1 and 2 contradict but otherwise, pale blue dot is what earth is. I again dont know if we should conclude that no extraterrestrial creatures are more intelligent than us, reason being - there is a very high probability of earth like planets formed way before earth was formed , may be millions of years before earth was formed and the creatures are million years advanced than us thanks to evolution. But I would prefer not to believe in theories such as aliens creating us. For one thing - as long as man has begun to recognise his surroundings, these aliens never showed up , nor did anything which suggests their existence. All the concepts revolving aliens/gods is way before man had intelligence to understand his surroundings. I am not too keen on moving this thread towards god based discussions, I really find it hard to argue sitting on the other side of the fence.

oh, btw we dont really have to establish communication with them, we have already left so much of signal traces, our satellite communication radio waves, tv waves are sufficient to travel and be intercepted .
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    durga
    I always had this philosophical question.
    From what we know, life forms need oxygen , water and carbon the building block of life. This is from what we know,
    when we look for extraterrestrial life, we try to find life form similar to us.
    Is it not remotely possible that life form elsewhere, really don't need things which otherwise define our existence??
    One answer I got when i posed this question was - the possibilities are endless, but defining a scope of reference is always good. But the question still remains..

That is a question I always had, but then again, looking at the answer you got, any line of research (read SETI's research, they are the pioneers, I don't know any other) has to have a defined set of parameters to measure. Otherwise there would be havoc!
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Well, since we are on our way to existential (yet scientific) questions, what about this:

#-Link-Snipped-#

This is a scientific line of thought, not a child's imagination. The older I become, the more drawn I get, to this possibility.

To keep this question open, here is this:

#-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Sampriti Bhattacharyya, a graduate student in mechanical engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology along with her advisor Professor Harry Asada has developed a football-sized underwater robot that can inspect...
Hi Folks, Can you please tell me which are the best online resources to start with JSP programming with eclipse IDE. 1. Resources should contain the worked examples with explanations...
I came across this new technique of time management, called "Pomodoro Technique" and a lot of people on the Internet say that it works. It looks very simple but the...
Hi there, I'm a 2014 batch passout B.Tech ECE engineer. My academics are 10th - 73%, 12th - 77% and B.Tech - 59%. I know I screwed up my Engg....
LED systems are already a hot property all over the world. From portable electronics, smartphones to home lighting solutions, LEDs can replace conventional lighting in almost all areas. A recent...