MIT's GaN Transistors To Make Electronics Cheaper And Bring World's Energy Use Down By 20%

GaN aka Gallium Nitride is the latest exotic material developed by Cambridge Electronics Inc (CEI), a company born out of MIT. The GaN holds the promise not only to make electronics cheaper, but also cut down the global energy consumption by as much as 20% in the next 10 years. The Department of Energy (DoE), United States dedicated about $70 million for Gallium Nitride research. GaN is all set to become the next silicon for power electronics circuits to be used in electronic gadgets and equipments.
GaN-Transistors-MIT-CEI
Image Credit: Cambridge Electronics
The modern generation of power electronics devices employ silicon transistors. While these transistors have proven very useful, they continue to suffer energy wastage because of speed and resistance related constraints.

The new GaN transistors have been demonstrated to have about a tenth of the resistance compared to silicon transistors; which allows them to operate at much higher efficiency. The switch on and off is also very fast - which allows the components to be even smaller in size.

CEI informs that their GaN transistors will allow the data centers to drastically reduce their power consumption and also help make the electronic vehicles more affordable. With GaN transistors, expect your electronic gadgets to be even smaller in size. Your future laptop may not really need a big boxy adapter as all the power management system will be right inside your machine.

CEI co-founder Tomas Palacios calls the GaN the 'once-in-a-lifetime' opportunity for the electronics industry to change for better and conserve energy. Read further information about GaN and how they work on the official source link below.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Indian mobile handset company Lava, after having recently launched the Lava Iris X1 Beats and Lava Iris X1 Atom has now come out with their sixth smartphone in the Iris...
This discussion is dedicated to all civil engineering graduates looking for different career options/ work opportunities after completing B.Tech or B.E. This topic is inspired by a similar thread we...
China's FAST telescope will have the capability of listening to the sounds originating from distant places in the Universe, reports ToI. The telescope, currently under construction among the mountains of...
Dear friends Advise me course suitable and scope in future for below profile of mine. Working as Electrical and Instruemntation inspector in oil/gas for 12 years. I would like to...
hai,mam already i text to you from https://www.crazyengineers.com . I having simple doubt about GIS. my aim only achieve in GIS Analyst .but now i am pursuing Final year Computer...