MIT Graduate Invents Algorithm For More Competent Ad-Hoc Networks

MIT graduate student Bernhard Haeupler has ensured with his new algorithm that ad-hoc networks could guarantee the transfer of information across all its nodes. Ad-hoc networks are decentralized networks with no predefined structure and hence communication within the network has not been reliable. Haeupler’s algorithm has proven to be faster than previous algorithms and even won one of two best-student-paper prizes for a new algorithm that aims to resolve the issue.

Bernhard's approach was deterministic as opposed to the previous algorithms that were probabilistic and hence always held the chance of an unsuccessful delivery. Researchers have been looking for distributed algorithms such that all nodes perform the same task to derive a desired global behavior. Haeupler's algorithm works in a series of rounds, where each round is the period in which two adjacent nodes exchange information. In the first round, a node exchanges information with one neighbor, then it selects a second node, and it exchanges information with both of the nodes for two rounds and so on.

[caption id="attachment_45168" align="aligncenter" width="600"]#-Link-Snipped-# Haeupler's Algorithm[/caption]

Source & Image: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What if the tablet PCs were unbreakable? What if they were as weightless as a sheet of paper? What if you can roll them and put them in your pocket?...
Scott Kovaleski, Associate Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering and his team of researchers at University of Missouri have developed a chewing gum sized, compact radiation source that is capable...
Few years back when I bought my laptop with Intel Core2Duo Processor, I was pretty amazed by the fact that my processor has 2 cores to work with! Time changed...
Everything is made up of energy! And a lot of research is being done to develop new technologies to generate, store and deliver this energy. Superconductors have emerged as very...
Remember the last time you bought an audio CD? I know the answer, who buys CDs in this age of digital music, right? Well, if are a frequent buyer at...