Microsoft's Experimental Keyboard Recognises Gestures

Microsoft’s research division has found a way by which PC users can enjoy gesture commands without involving intrusive hardware. Microsoft Research’s Type-Hover-Swipe keyboard gets its motion sensing capabilities from a 16 x 4 array of infrared proximity sensors placed within key spaces of a custom made 3D printed keyboard. The infrared sensor nodes are mounted on a printed circuit board and inserted between the keycap and into the silicon membrane. As compared to the Kinect sensor on the Xbox One that captures full HD resolution data, the sensors of Type-Hover-Swipe keyboard can capture only a miniscule 64 pixels. While 64 pixels might seem incredibly low resolution, it is enough to identify the number of fingers and their movement above the keyboard.

Microsoft Research’s Type-Hover-Swipe keyboard Microsoft Research’s Type-Hover-Swipe keyboard 2 Microsoft Research’s Type-Hover-Swipe keyboard 1

The Type-Hover-Swipe keyboard accumulates binary motion history image and intensity motion history image form a motion signature for every gesture. The system can perform operations such as swiping left and right, swiping up and down, zooming in and out in pictures and even controlling a car’s movements in a game. Microsoft says that in the future they will be able to able to refine this system to detect gestures even more accurately as they have found out that they can combine raw sensor data to the nearest neighbour data to generate groundtruth data in an offline process. Once they refine this technique they will be able to create full touch based experiences.

Gesture based systems such as Leap motion controllers worked in their own ecosystem of apps, but Microsoft’s system works on the entire Windows ecosystem. The Type-Hover-Swipe keyboard will surely make using Windows 8 easier but we would like you not be ready with your money just yet as Microsoft Research products may or may not make their way into the market. For the meanwhile, you can have a take a look at the keyboard in action in this video below.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-# via #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Nice innovation but what would be the cost of a keyboard which would be implemented with sensors?
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Looks like this is a keyboard with integrated invisible mouse.

Nice one, but I am just wondering what If I will just move my fingers randomly over the keyboard without actually aiming to perform any action?

Keyboard will still sense something and do something on the system, which is not desired by user?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

It's interesting! Boy, it surely is interesting! The government in the Netherlands has the immigration law that requires the immigrants to show proficiency in Dutch language and also have the...
Gionee has come up with yet another smartphone called the "Gionee CTRL V5" the features a 11.9 cm (4.7″) qHD Display with 960×540 pixel resolution. Powered with a 1.3 GHz...
Dear Sir/Madam, Please let me know how can i download the previous year question & answer of C-cat. And I am not finding these books online i.e 1.Data Structures Through...
Grove.io was launched with an aim to reduce the time for setting up an IRC server. Built on the IRC protocol, Grove.io allows businesses to set up their own web-based...
Mozilla is back in news and we are as excited as the officials to explore the all new Mozilla Firefox 29. The new version of the popular open-source browser features...