Microsoft's Age Guessing Robot

Microsoft's machine learning team built a site that tries to guess your age, based on a photo you upload on the site (#-Link-Snipped-#). As long as the face is well lit, it is generally accurate. Any CEans tried it out yet? ๐Ÿ˜€

Source: How Old Do You Look? Microsoft Built A Robot That Tries To Guess Your Age โ€ข TechCrunch

Of course, seeing we are crazy engineers here, let's discuss how you think the algorithm works? Goes beyond your typical facial recognition engine.

Replies

• Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    The demo seems to be crap, I uploaded two of my photos, on the first I was 35 and on the second I was 39? I am 25 for crying out loud.
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    For me it gave 34, guess this software is quite inaccurate, the results would have been better if there was an option of user feedback of some kind so as to improve results using machine learning.
    ash
    Microsoft's machine learning team built a ....
    Of course, seeing we are crazy engineers here, let's discuss how you think the algorithm works? Goes beyond your typical facial recognition engine.
    Well looks like u missed the link on "Story behind the demo", the link is on that page (howold.net). There they have explained how they created it,
    Well if I have to create this, apart from face recognition engine, I will set certain parameters which will help in better diagnosis, eg: facial texture eg. if smooth on cheekbones (of course I am being wildly generic ๐Ÿ˜), looking for areas where wrinkles are present. I know my Ideas needs refining, but I guess these would be a good start, what do u think ?? ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    โ˜• Mine shows 37. ๐Ÿ‘€ Do I need to say that it's not even remotely close.

(Looks like never using any cosmetic products has taken its toll ๐Ÿ˜)

They wrote there that they are improving their API. I took the test only because it's becoming so popular and found that most comments on it are positive. A quick overview said that most people who say that their age was guessed correctly are white. If all the 3 of us above got it wrong, has it got anything to do with skin colour?

I am also thinking that the lighting conditions affect the output a lot. My photo was in bright sunlight.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Isn't it good to look like in your 30's? ๐Ÿ˜

rahul69
    Well looks like u missed the link on "Story behind the demo", the link is on that page (howold.net). There they have explained how they created it,
    Well if I have to create this, apart from face recognition engine, I will set certain parameters which will help in better diagnosis, eg: facial texture eg. if smooth on cheekbones (of course I am being wildly generic ๐Ÿ˜), looking for areas where wrinkles are present. I know my Ideas needs refining, but I guess these would be a good start, what do u think ?? ๐Ÿ˜€
    Yep, checked the link. Unfortunately it doesn't give the grunt details of the Face API in terms of estimating the age attribute (I guess it's their secret sauce). Good idea on facial textures.

Can't seem to tag #-Link-Snipped-#. I remember he was working on some MS based research projects. Wonder if he still lurking on CE these days.
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    Hello Ash, Hi CEans!
    I only had some talks with Microsoft about my project, I've no relation to Microsoft ๐Ÿ˜
    About this Age guessing, I think it's technically great, of course the results are mess, but it really can capture your face, like when I tried to upload a photo for myself where I look good (shaven beard, not tired face...etc) It got me 23, but with another photo with not very good looks, it got me 33, I think these results are great step in the way of "Age recognition" instead of "Age guessing", of course I've to test on like 100 photos to be sure, but no time for that! haha ๐Ÿ˜
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Yo MaRo, welcome back! What are you up to these days man? Any new cool projects? ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi
The TRAI has proposed a concept of VNO aka virtual network operator which will be a a single operator to act on behalf of all the telecom services providers in...
The history, multi-million dollar boxing fight is about to begin in the next few moments. I'm creating a poll to see what people think who will win.
This feature was long sought after. Thousands of us have been clicking on the 'Facebook Login' button to avoid the hassle of entering data manually in the sign-up form across...
It has now been made official that India is set to become a member of CERN. From Asia, India is the second country to become a member of European Organization...