metal vs hole/SCHOTTKY DIODE

is the metal having holes ?

what is the operation of SCHOTTKY DIODE? IN SCHOOTKY DIODE how the depletion region is formed?๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Replies

• shiwa436
    shiwa436
    metals are good conductors of electric current. and conduction is done through movement of charge carriers i.e., electrons (atleast). absense of electron is hole, so i think metals should have holes..
  • shiwa436
    shiwa436
    coming to SCHOTTKY Diode

We know that a PN junction diode is a junction two semiconductors.. i.e. semiconductor-semiconductor junction.
    SCHOTTKY Diode is a Metal- Semiconductor junction.

Hence, the forward voltage drop is very low than that of a normal PN junction diode. and recovery time is very low.
    and the operation is same as a PN junction diode.
  • freak16
    freak16
    Depletion region is formed because of the difference in energies of electron bound in metal and semiconductor..
    recALL the bohrs model and you will get it.
    Potential energy of electron in semiconductor is more as compared to energy in metal..
    so when they come in contact..
    electron migrate towards the metal..
    feel free to ask if it is not yet clear..
  • soni.sapan
    soni.sapan
    I think Metals dont have holes
  • Arp
    Arp
    freak is right.. holes are just the vacancies of electrons. and in some metals as we say conduction band is fill so there are holes we say present in the metal. there is no doubt about that holes are nothing they are just an imaginary concept to understand the electron movement in any device easily.
    remember just one thing whenever electron left the valence band , holes are created in it no matter what the material is.
  • chetan mehra
    chetan mehra
    I am agree with the answer of soni,see in semiconductor there is a presence of covalent bond,and basically hole concept was given for the covalent bonds only(refer to the semiconductor theory),since metals don't have covalent bonds they have ionic bonds,and this theory says if an electron is removed from the last shell of a metal there is a formation of an ion,having positive charge.moreover you cannot remove electrons from the inner shells of a metal because it requires a very large amount of energy.
    thats why we call schottky diode a unipolar device not a bipolar device as a normal diode(in which electrons and holes both contribute to the current).
    While in schottky only electrons contributes to the current.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Update: The attachments facility has been released for all members with 10+ posts on CrazyEngineers Forum. The total amount of space allotted to each member is 100MB. All regular document/excel/ppt...
As expected, after iPad's price drop in India by Apple, Samsung has dropped the prices of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" tab. The latest price of the tab in India...
Hello CEs i a m a progrmng student and m having problems coming up with an informations system that is web based on the java platform. The information system has...
BMW - the company known for great cars and motorcycles silently released the latest bike, the 'M Bike': unique and awesome carbon racer. Breaking from the tradition of producing high-end...
Firefox is known for high end bikes and I had a chance to spot the bike on road today ๐Ÿ˜€ . The bike is a high-end one with following specs:...