Meet HyQ2Max - The Robotic Crisis Manager

Disaster management is an arduous task, and the primary reason behind it is the inability of humans and animals to physically work in disaster-prone areas. Shout out to HyQ2Max, the latest and most powerful quadruped robot to come out of the Italian Institute of Technology; that looks and moves like an animal. The machine is an enhanced version of the four-legged hydraulic robot HyQ.

HyQ2Max-Robot

The most fundamental limitation that is often associated with a robot is its restricted adaptability. Most robots cannot function autonomous, i.e., on their own. It is this that makes their usage in crisis diagnosis practically redundant. The scenario here, however, is different.

Claudio Semini, who leads this research project mentions that special emphasis has been given so that the robot is able to enact a quick agile animal, like a cat or a dog, even on undulating terrain. This comes in handy in pressing situations- aftermath of earthquakes, tsunamis, and other calamities; and also on different landforms characterized by their own elevation, slope, orientation, stratification, rock exposure, and even soil type.

The animal-like structure, last seen in Kawada Industries’ humanoid HRP-2 at Tokyo’s International Robotics Exhibition, makes the HyQMax a perfect disaster bot. This is as opposed to robots with wheels and tracks that makes it impossible for them to traverse uneven terrain.

Jake Goldsmith, HyQ2Max’s chief designer, made its torso with aerospace-grade aluminium alloy, with lightweight fiberglass and Kevlar cover that protect the onboard computer. Also very carefully protected inside the unit are its actuators, sensors, valves, and other sensitive electronic instruments. While the focus here is on rescue missions, Semini adds that the bot is not only crisis-centric. It could serve as an efficient mobility vehicle in the construction, forestry and other industries.

The most advantageous aspect of the HyO2Max is its structure. It boasts of large joint ranges and higher joint torques and for whatever reason it might fall down or stumble, getting right back to its feet is a child’s play.

With all of that said, the HyQ2Max is definitely not a flash in the pan.

Source: HyQ2Max: the robot you can't keep down | Reuters

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The day has come when robots and humans are ready to greet each other as colleagues. Nanyang Technological University introduced ‘Nadine’ to the whole world as their new receptionist, who...
I have 2 years of experience. I am handling all seo project in company. I can do on page, off page seo , social media marketing,ORM. I have also worked...
Cleveland-based startup Selfie-Z has created a product to make your gym life easy and hassle-free. In an effort to help out millions of people who face the same problems at...
Korean Electronics giant Samsung will soon launch a new 12 inch tablet powered by Windows 10, which will become part of Galaxy Tab series, according to the reports. Device’s model...
For budding Musician CEans with itching fingers. Quote: About this Course Grasp the essentials needed to begin playing acoustic or electric guitar. You'll learn an easy approach to get you...