May I introduce myself

A little bit about myself.

I currently work as an engineer for the Illinois Department of Transportation. Graduated college back in 06, went into law enforcement, quit that after a few years (I'm too nice ๐Ÿ˜›) and went into software development, almost had a mental breakdown due to long hours staring at codes, quit that and here I am working my dream job as an engineer.

I love every part of my current career. I find it therapeutic and relaxing at times, despite the stress that sometimes comes with it.

If I could do everything all over again, I would have gone to engineering school straight out of high school rather than shooting in the dark for so many years... but I guess that's life.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Howdy #-Link-Snipped-# , it's fantastic to have you here. I think it's all worth it now that you've found solace in engineering. I grew up watching my dad doing some great engineering and fixing everything broken (from cars, scooters to juicers) like a magician. I knew I'd become an engineer and now feel proud of my choice.

How was it working for law enforcement?
  • livingenzyme
    livingenzyme
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Howdy #-Link-Snipped-# , it's fantastic to have you here. I think it's all worth it now that you've found solace in engineering. I grew up watching my dad doing some great engineering and fixing everything broken (from cars, scooters to juicers) like a magician. I knew I'd become an engineer and now feel proud of my choice.

How was it working for law enforcement?
    It weren't so bad had it not the particular agency I that I joined. I would have enjoyed a local department a lot more. But instead, the agency I joined was a much higher level. And I was one of the youngest people when I joined, so they made me travel a lot. That's what they do with young guys with no families. Paper work was unending, especially with cases involving narcotics. Then there were the court cases that I had to show up to. Because my agency wasn't local, most of the courts I had to show up to to testify were often hours away.

Heck, to this day I still get subpoenaed to some cases that have been dragging on for years. Totally not my cub of tea.

I have 2 brothers and 2 sisters: Electrical engineer, structural engineer, computer engineer, and mathematician. Being the youngest, I thought I could break out of that pattern and do something different. Who would have thunk it was fate for our entire family to end up in the technical fields LOL.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# I think it is time to get all the engineers in your family here. ๐Ÿ˜

It is really great to have you here. Please feel free to explore the community and take part in the discussions. Welcome aboard CE!

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    #-Link-Snipped-# Welcome to CE community. Have a nice stay here. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • vishal Lokhande
    vishal Lokhande
    #-Link-Snipped-# Welcome to CE ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€...We have the power to come out of any crisis as you already experience d same , your mind is final frontier , make it strong n live like everyday is like birthday..๐ŸŽ‰....fell free to share..enjoy...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Apple has announced Yosemite, the new version of OS X at the Worldwide Developers Conference yesterday evening. The new refined design of the OS X Yosemite seems to be inspired...
A new software called 'idTRACKER' has been developed by a team of researchers from Cajal Institute, a neuroscience research center assigned to the Spanish Research Council (CSIC). Based on some...
Just a few hours ago at the World Wide Developer Conference 2014 in San Francisco, USA; Apple made quite a lot of important announcements. We decided to compile the top...
Along with OS X Yosemite Apple has unveiled the latest iteration of its mobile operating system, iOS 8. iOS 8 will run on Apple devices such as iPhone 4s, iPhone...
Renault India Pvt. Ltd. has today launched a new Renault Duster Limited Edition car in the country at a special price of Rs. 9.99 lakh to celebrate the milestone of...