Maximum RAM supported by P4?

Hey people, Cheers!!!!!!

I want to know what is the maximum supported RAM for Pentium 4?
Also I want to know whether max RAM depends solely on processor or motherboad?
Thanks

Replies

• Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Prakash can you believe it also depends on the OS? Windows does not support more than 4GB of RAM, if you want to use more ... then you have to go for the Enterprise version.
  • prakash.athani
    prakash.athani
    What about Linux destributions?
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Prakash, I have seen till 8GB on CentOS and FC4. 3GB on Ubuntu 8.04 and 2GB on OpenSuse.
  • bayazidahmed
    bayazidahmed
    kidakaka
    Prakash can you believe it also depends on the OS? Windows does not support more than 4GB of RAM, if you want to use more ... then you have to go for the Enterprise version.
    Enterprise version? tsk tsk tsk.
    In OS it depends if your OS is 32-bit or 64-bit.
    32-bit will can address till 4 GB.
    and 64-bit can address till 16 TB.

P4 can address upto 4 GB maximum.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Bayaz, Check Windows 2003 specs. The Enterprise version supports 8GB - check the support site 😀 - #-Link-Snipped-#
  • bayazidahmed
    bayazidahmed
    Every single Edition of Windows XP/2003/Vista/2008 comes in 32-bit or 64-bit versions. And the maximum addressing capability is the same as I mentioned..

except for some 32-bit Windows editions as you mentioned.
    I found that some 32-bit editions support upto 64 GB by using the extra number of address lines (4 to be precise) provided by the Intel Pentium Pro and above processors, called as PAE (Physical Address Extension).
    On Windows this mechanism is called AWE (Address Windowing Extensions).

References:
    1. Microsoft
    2. Wikipedia

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

need a book related to orthogonal frequencu division multiplexing and peak to average power reductio ratio using convolution codes

hai

hai am new to this site....
Hi, i am a civil engineering graduate, presently i am doing M.Tech., i am having internet in my home, i want to make use of both (i.e. my degree &...
After installing Nortel VPN client on my Laptop, firstly it RIP was on and I was not able to connect. Once RIP was disabled.. I am stillunable to connect An...
hi friends... can u please provide me any information about rating of step up transformer.... 😎