Maruti Ertiga CNG To Help You Beat Rising Petrol & Diesel Prices In India

Maruti Suzuki is expected to launch the "Maruti Ertiga CNG" in Indian markets to help car-enthusiasts beat the ever rising petrol and diesel prices. While there is no concrete information about the exact launch date and pricing; we believe that the company will formally announce the car later this month. The price of the car is expected to be approximately Rs. 30k more than its petrol varient - which currently is available at Rs. 6 - 8.45 lakh rupees ex-showroom in Delhi. The car will be made available in LXi and VXi versions. Leading auto blogs are reporting that the car could be announced by mid-June.

Maruti Suzuki understands that fuel price is one of the key factors that influences in automobile purchase decisions in Indian markets. With no signs of Petrol & Diesel prices coming down in India in the next several months, the company wants to capitalize on the situation by offering a cheaper CNG version. If successful, the move could give a boost to the Ertiga's sales which have become almost stagnant in the last several weeks.

slide

It's expected that the CNG varient will be based off the recently launch Ertiga Feliz. We learn that the idea company is trying to drive is to let users have a choice of two fuels. Modifying the engine and the suspension is a huge task and the company only offers CNG option to cars with Petrol engines.

The ZXi version (top end) may not get the CNG kit option, but we'd rather wait for an official word. For Maruti cars like Alto, WagonR, SX4 and Eeco are the only ones that can get the CNG kit upgrades. We'd surely be following up this update and keep an eye on the official launch.

In the meantime, we'd like to ask our readers their opinion on the overall popularity & usefulness of CNG kits. We'd also like to know first hand reviews of cars that are equipped with CNG kits. Is the upgrade cost justified in the longer run? Share your views below.

Replies

• lovebox
    lovebox
    Although upgrading to CNG is a good option for us, what prevents most people from doing so is the fact that CNG is not widely available, especially in non-metropolitan cities. Petroleum companies could ease out the situation by installing more CNG refilling facilities at their existing petrol and diesel refilling stations.
    The other issue with CNG upgrade is that the CNG tank takes up a lot of boot space in the car.
    CNG is a cleaner fuel and its higher octane number ensures better performance.
  • lovebox
    lovebox
    Also heard a few days back that Tata is planning to launch the CNG version of Nano soon.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    lovebox
    Also heard a few days back that Tata is planning to launch the CNG version of Nano soon.
    That's a good news. But the Nano's have already been 'burning' on the roads. Not sure if CNGs would help 😉
  • lovebox
    lovebox
    Indeed, a few Nanos have been 'burning' on the roads. May be the company feels it can make its presence more 'explosive' with the CNG version. 😉
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    Didn't quite understand the above exchange. Nanos "burning on the road"?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Gurjap
    Didn't quite understand the above exchange. Nanos "burning on the road"?
    There were several reports in the media that some fault in Tata Nano led to burning of the car. I vaguely remember that it was some issue related to the ignition system. Not sure about the cause though.
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    As in, the car caught fire and burned everybody inside?
  • lovebox
    lovebox
    Gurjap
    As in, the car caught fire and burned everybody inside?
    I don't remember any human casualties being reported by the media on this issue. Anyways, fires in the car are a serious threat. Can't really overlook that.
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    Alright, some googling confirms this stuff, and I am in shock. How could the Tatas, known for their scrupulous and solid engineering, let this happen?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The requirements are very simple: The phone should have a physical QWERTY (preferred) keyboard, a good camera (5MP desirable), a front camera, FM Radio (recording optional), bluetooth and the operating...
Texas Instruments (TI, NASDAQ: TXN) ) has announced a new 'MaxLife' technology to allow faster charging of Li-Ion batteries without degrading the battery life. The company introduced bq27530 and bq27531...
Hi everyone!!! I have just completed my B.E (E.C). I am interested in VLSI domain. So please suggest me names of institutes providing training for the same. Thank you.
The big reveal that United States government monitors all the communications (online & telephonic) caused a havoc in the tech media. The governments justify doing it by saying that it's...
Apple's readying the Moscone Center in San Francisco - the venue for Apple's World Wide Developer Conference (WWDC). Apple's setting up banners that show number '7' clearly indicating that Apple...