"Marshmallow" - It's Android Marshmallow, Folks!

Google's finally revealed that the Android's sixth major version is officially called Android 'M', with M representing Marshmallow. Google has already set up a new statue in front of its headquarters at Mountain View, California. The uninitiated may note that the company has been following a tradition of naming every major version update after a sweet. We're including a list of all the earlier versions and their names below. Google's Product Manager, Jamal Eason wrote a #-Link-Snipped-# informing about the release of Android 6.0 SDK and revealing the new name.

Google revealed Android M at the Google I/O 2015 @ California - May 28, 29; Only For The Lucky Ones but did not tell us what 'M' will stand for. While 'M' was expected as all the previous versions were named starting in alphabetical order, the What does 'M' in Android M stand for? around the world was curious to know which sweet it will represent. The Indian Android fans on the Internet had been trying hard to get an Indian name for Android. It started with campaigns to name Android L as 'Android Ladoo' and then many wanted Android M to be named after 'Mango Lassi'.

It may look quite funny that the world's biggest Internet search company is naming its top software after sweets, Android continues to be very important and very serious business for Google. The software has already been reported to power about 80% of world's smartphones and seen support from world's biggest electronics giants including Samsung, HTC, Sony, Motorola and others.

Google-M-Marshmallow-Version-6

Android M brings a lot of new Android M Features Overview and the most notable ones are 'app permissions', 'web-experience', 'app-links', 'Android Pay', 'fingerprint support', 'optimised power management' and of course 'USB Type-C Explained Along With Its Significance In Modern Electronics'.

The official release of Android Marshmallow is still weeks away, but Google wants the developers to ready their apps for the new Android. We'll of course, keep you posted about all the developments but as promised, we'll be leaving you with the list of all earlier Android version names -
  • 1.5: Cupcake
  • 1.6: Donut
  • 2.0: Eclair
  • 2.2: Froyo (frozen yogurt)
  • 2.3: Gingerbread
  • 3.0: Honeycomb
  • 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich
  • 4.1: Jelly Bean
  • 4.4: Kit-Kat
  • 5.0: Lollipop
  • 6.0: Marshmallow
Source: #-Link-Snipped-# | Via: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    That also brings us to a new discuss - What will Android N be named after? Can you think of new sweets starting with letter N?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    nutella
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    durga
    nutella
    Looks like Nutella it is.
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    So the sweet treat I haven’t ever tasted in life is the new version of Android. The Android 6.0 is still a few months away (or even more) for public consumption but I have a genuine concern regarding the pace at which Android is releasing updates for its Android operating system. Sure people who own Nexus, Android One or Motorola devices will be getting it the quickest but what about folks of other smartphone manufacturers. It’s not just the local smartphone manufactures like Micromax, Karbonn or Lava who launch a smartphone and forget about updating it, it’s also the big names such as Samsung. I have seen my friends getting frustrated when they hear from their manufacturer that that are not going to get the forthcoming update because, let’s face it, most device manufacturers do not care about maintaining the software on a smartphone. With the pace Alphabet is releasing Android updates most companies won’t be bothered to update OS.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    So the sweet treat I haven’t ever tasted in life is the new version of Android
    Do you avoid it for any reason?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    ash
    Do you avoid it for any reason?
    We don't have Marshmallows that commonly available in India. I've never seen one in real life.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Ankita Katdare
    We don't have Marshmallows that commonly available in India. I've never seen one in real life.
    Hmm.. business opportunity there. CE Marshmallows.. 😁 Sure will be a hit once the new android version launches.
  • Jayesh001
    Jayesh001
    I have latest 5.1.1 os but literally its not one of its kind,just they are focusing on more and more in GUI rather than performance ,android lolipop itself has so many bugs and personally dont like marshmallow experienced it already !!
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Jayesh001
    Android lolipop itself has so many bugs and personally dont like marshmallow experienced it already !!
    Bugs like ? If it's critical, it will be squashed if you report to Google and provide logcat.

BTW software/OS at scale and complexity of Android are never bug-free. Bug-free code is only possible when the libraries and OS you're using to develop software is bug-free, which is certainly not possible. We are not living in perfect world! Even hardware we are using to develop software is not perfect then how can code be perfectly bugless ?

Well I am directing the article to different direction, pardon me.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The new hangouts.google.com is a dedicated website for all your Google Hangouts. I just checked the new website and the only purpose it seems to solve is that you don't...
Wish you many many Happy returns of the day @mahesh_dahale Have a rocking year ahead ! 🎉
When the Canvas Selfie smartphone was released, the company saw tremendous positive response from the consumers who wanted all the goodies in the specs list - processor, battery and display...
Kunal Patel and Jack Henkel, Co-Founders of Indienomicon (an Orlando based community of indie game developers) along with Dr. Peter Smith, a UCF Professor have organised the Indie Galactic Space...
Hai friends, I am new to this page, I have completed my Engineering in Electronics and Communication, I want to start a company related to my field in small scale,...