Make video call on WhatsApp (Version: 2.16.318)

WhatsApp has finally introduced Video Calling facility and is available for Android, and apparently on iOS as well. The most awaited feature of WhatsApp messenger, Video Calling is now available with the latest beta version, 2.16.318. Now, if your contacts have the feature enabled, you'll see a video icon in front of the contact name. We hope that this time, the video calling feature will finally make it to the public release version. WhatsApp beta had the video calling feature enabled back in May, but it was then pulled out for some technical reasons.

Video calling is rapidly replacing regular telephone calls and has become one of the most popular feature with all leading mobile messaging apps. Google recently introduced a stand-alone video calling app, called Google Duo and it was high time the big boy WhatsApp introduced it as well.

Initial tests done with the latest beta suggest that the video calls where not very smooth. WhatsApp is likely to test the feature with limited number of users before it makes the servers ready for everyone.

One more interesting feature that's likely to make it to WhatsApp is the ability to send full resolution images. Currently WhatsApp compresses all the photos and videos in order to save the bandwidth and data consumption.

If you wish to have your hands on the latest WhatsApp with video calling feature, get yourself enrolled in the WhatsApp beta program through Google Play Store.

If you've downloaded the latest beta and tried video calling, do share your experience with us.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Update:
    Looks like WhatsApp is rolling out update for everyone. Have you received Video calling feature through the update?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    I am on Beta version but there is nobody to do video call. 😉

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Having faith on my deductive logic, it can be taken into account that all electronics enthusiasts are familiar with SoCs or system on chips. The mini-world comprising a large number...
As expected, Xiaomi, today, revealed a couple of flagship devices in China. Though the Xiaomi’s Mi Note 2 was expected to be unveiled, Mi MIX was a surprise release. Featuring...
Jon Zornow grew up in the northeastern United States, went to a pre-engineering high school, and then studied economics and sculpture at the university. Both his parents are first-generation entrepreneurs....
Hello CrazyEngineers 😁, my name is Priyanka Sahu. I have completed my graduation this year in Computer Science and Engineering. Thank you Kaustubh Sir for the help. Although I have...
Microsoft will announce a new web based chat product, called 'Microsoft Teams' on its November 2, Microsoft Office event in New York City. The new product is likely to compete...