Main frame computers

Hi guys,
What do you think about mainframe computers? Is it still useful for one to learn about it..A person was telling me that the chances on mainframe has got diminished and even there is no possible means for it to getting back into industry and no use on learning it or knowing about it..what do you think on it?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    It'd be nice if you could be more descriptive with your posts / questions. Mainframes are still in use by legacy systems; and unless you're willing to make a career in it; there's no point in learning. You'd rather be focusing on newer technologies.

PS: Is this question about career or technical discussion about mainframe systems?
  • priyanka prakash
    priyanka prakash
    It is a tech discussion...since i got some intrest about that i thought of knowing CEans opinion on that..And to know about it's current opportunity.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Nice to see someone mention about this. Mainframes are used intensively in industries that need large data crunching performance and stability for transactions, such as in financial services. The applications that run on them are not actually legacy, but highly specialized and advanced to be able to keep up with increased performance requirements but with a lot of stability and security.

In terms of opportunity, you'd most likely need to be versed in IBM System z range of mainframes and the OS that runs on them (z/OS), since they hold predominant market share. You'll also want to check out the applications & DB that are used on them.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Don’t replace your old low cost headphones just yet! You might want to consider the newly launched BoomStick from Boomcloud360 before you get rid of your old headphones. A survey...
Hi to all. I am a software tester with 3 years experience in both automation and manual testing. currently i am working in Bangalore , i am looking a onsite...
Ramesh Raskar, Mit Media Lab gave a talk about their recent discovery, Femto Second Photography some days back at TED conference. He introduced new type of imaging technique that captures...
I would like to know how to manage multiple whatsapp broadcast groups as my phone freezes a lot while sending updates to all my multiple groups. Is there any other...
I dont know what to do. Experts please help me out: Problem signature: Problem Event Name: BlueScreen OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1 Locale ID: 1033 Additional information about the problem: BCCode: 19...