MagnetoSperm Microbots: Inspired By Sperm, Run By Magnetic Fields

Nature’s designs have always been more successful, foolproof and energy efficient that most manmade designs. Humans have always sought inspiration from these designs to build machines and this time this time they have sought inspiration from sperm. A team of researchers from University of Twente in Netherlands and German University in Egypt have developed microbots whose design has been inspired from sperms and can be navigated with the help of weak magnetic fields. Titled MagnetoSperm, these microbots measure 322 micron long. These microbots were made by spin coating a five-micron thin layer of SU-8 polymer on a silicon support wafer. The heads were then coated with cobalt-nickel and the tails was left uncoated.

Once the team had the design worked out they managed to downsize the robot even more by removing power and navigation system from MagnetoSperm. The work of powering and navigating the MagnetoSperm was done by an oscillating magnetic field of less than five militesla, which is equivalent to the strength of a refrigerator magnet. This induces a magnetic torque on the head causing the flagellum to oscillate and propel the microbot.

MagnetoSperm

According to the research team, MagnetoSperm can have an extensive implementation in biomedical tasks such as drug delivery, in vitro fertilization, cell sorting and cleaning of clogged arteries and more. In the future they want to scale down the MagnetoSperm even more by creating a magnetic nanofiber that can be used in place of the existing larger flagellum.

To know more about the MagnetoRobot, you can read the Here Come the "Brobots" | American Institute of Physics and the #-Link-Snipped-# published in the in the journal Applied Physics Letters and its coverage on MagnetoSperm: A tiny swimming robot inspired by human sperm - Los Angeles Times.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

By a patent filled by Facebook (link here), they are now allowing even kids under-13 to create an account as long as they receive an approval from the parents. From...
i have a genuine windows 8 on my laptop, if i update it to windows 8.1 do i have to get a new registration key for that to make it...
For more than three years Mozilla has been developing a JavaScript tailored, WebGL utilizing browser based gaming engine called PlayCanvas. PlayCanvas is a JavaScript library engineered for the video game...
I have a confution to choose my final year project.
Ford has unveiled a lightweight concept car that weighs 700 pounds (about 318 Kg) less than its in-market mid-sized family sedan counterpart, the Ford Fusion. Ford managed to achieve this...