Magnetic Transmission Promises Extremely Efficient Transmissions

There are very few things car owners would rate worse than a faulty gearbox. Equipment failures, outages and long, expensive repairs often tag along a faulty gearbox, the most probable cause, as it is with many other car problems: friction. But now, the researchers at Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (UC3M) are claiming to have found its Kryptonite: Magnetic Transmission. The magnetic transmission can be used in space exploration vehicles and can also been adapted for use in other areas, such as the railroad and aircraft industries. This research was done under the aegis of MAGDRIVE, a European research project, in which seven European entities participate.

Although the main goal of MAGDRIVE project is to develop a mechanical transmission system for space exploration vehicles (for which they have developed a prototype), they have also developed another prototype which operates at normal temperatures. The outer space prototype can work at a temperature of -210°C and in vacuum. Along with other peripherals, it has tremendous applications in space exploration missions by European Space Agency. However, the ESA has quoted that the the room temperature prototype is the one that can have the biggest impact and industrial application.

magdrive1 (1)

The system transforms the rotational speed of an input axle to a different speed of an output axle and without the use of toothed gears at all. The forces are produced by the permanent magnets that repel and attract each other, producing forces and couples between the axles, but without contact.

The absolute absence of contact means no lubrication required (i.e. no oily mess), less vibrations, less noise and perhaps most importantly, longer operating life. Applications include automobiles, oil and gas industry, as well as pharmaceutical, biomedical and food industries For the commercialization of the magnetic transmission system, a spin-off company MAG SOAR has been created from this project.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Was wondering why can't I like posts? or update my status?
Hi, My friend planning to open complete e commerce website for all kinds of IT products. I need details for how is market and how to start and how to...
Launching officially on December 4th exclusively via Flipkart, Lava Iris Win1 is a new smartphone from the Indian mobile handset company that's priced at Rs. 4,999. This is the company's...
just wondering what should an engineer brush up from class 8th - 12th if he is an electronics engineer?
With our ever growing dependence on smartphones for almost everything, we need long lasting battery to carry out our tasks without any interruption. Considering this day-to-day requirement, Intex Technologies has...