MAGLEV - The Future Train

Project Abstract / Summary :
MAGLEV-The Future Train
[​IMG] What is a Maglev Train?
A Maglev train is a train that glides through the track, sort of like a monorail, but unlike any conventional train, it floats in air.
The name Maglev is derived from two words, Magnet and Levitation. As the name implies, the Maglev train uses magnets to levitate off the track and to move forward and backward.

Features:
· Magnetic levitation transport, or maglev, is a form of transportation that suspends, guides and propels vehicles via Electromagnetism energy.
· There are no wheels, no physical contact between the train and the track. The train is in mid-air!!!
· This has advantages in terms of speed and ride comfort compared to WheeledMass Transit systems.
· Potentially, Maglev can reach velocities comparable to Turboprop and Jet Aircraft (500 to 580 kmph).
· Due to lack of physical contact between the track and coach, the only friction exerted is that due to air.
· It has reasonable Energy consumption and minimal Noise levels.

Working:
The magnetic forces are used to suspend, guide and propel the vehicles on the guideway. The vehicle travels along the guideway propelled by a moving electromagnetic field, which is a function of the frequency of voltage, applied to the windings in the guideway.

Principles and Technologies:
The basic concept of magnetism, like poles repel and unlike poles attract each other, forms the basis of Maglev Trains.

There are mainly two principles used:-
1)Principle of Levitation:

[​IMG]
When electric current is made to pass through the electronic coils, the electro-magnets energizes.
There are on-board permanent magnets underneath the coach that makes the train to levitate.
A maglev train floats about 10 mm above the guide way on the magnetic field.

2) Principle of Propulsion:

[​IMG]
The electric current supplied to the coils in guide way walls are constantly alternating to change the polarity of the magnetized coil. This change in polarity is used to produce a force which pulls the train forward and pulls it from other side.

Advantages and Disadvantages:
Pros of the Maglev System:-
- Very High Speed, up to 500-580 kmph.
- Easy Ride Comfort.
- No friction- so no wear & tear.
- Less maintenance cost.
- Less power consumption, as only that part of the track is energized where the train is present.
- No vibrations, no noise pollution.
- Eco-friendly.

Cons of the Maglev System:-
- High initial installation cost.

Current Applications:

The first commercial application of Maglev is the Initial Operating Segment Line which runs from Shanghai International Airport to Shanghai downtown. The distance is of about 36kms and the train takes about 7mins 20secs at top speed of 431kmph.
[​IMG]
There are already commercial line plans under way in Japan and in Germany. In the United States there are extensive studies under way into the feasibility of the construction of Maglev lines.
We believe that the Maglev train is slated to eventually replace all trains on the planet.

Why did you choose to work on this project topic : This is a very good and efficient technology which can drastically save time and we know, "Time is Money". So it can help in boosting the economy so we have chosen this project.

Scope: Although the initial investment cost of Maglev is high, but still it plays an important role in developing the infrastructure & economy of developing countries like India. Going distances like from Mumbai to Delhi, traveling via flight is expensive & time consuming from the point of view that the air ports are far away from the heart of the city & due to poor roadways people face the problem of traffic jams. Also the current fastest train, Rajdhani Express takes about 16hrs to reach from Mumbai to Delhi whereas Maglev at speed of 550kmph would take just about 3hrs. Especially during the rainy season it is more feasible to travel via a Maglev train rather than a flight. It can prove beneficial to Indian economy as it saves a lot of time & India do not have to import any more petroleum for the airplanes and it runs on electricity which is a clean fuel.

Project Category : Electrical / Electronics / Communication
------------------------------------------------------
Institute/College Name: Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Technology
City: Mumbai
State: Maharashtra
Participating Team From: Final Year

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Project Abstract / Summary : The objective of this project is to enable the user to remotely control their home appliances and systems using a cell phone based interface. To...
After launching its first Android 5.0 Lollipop OS-based handset- the Canvas Fire 4, earlier this month, the Indian mobile manufacturer Micromax has now launched an entry-level smartphone- Micromax Bolt Q324....
Project Abstract / Summary : Compact Paper Recycler A compact paper recycler , as the name suggest is a paper recycling machine of comparatively small size. It is basically a...
Can any one help me do my mini project by suggesting any idea or link or webpage that helps me to find python code snippets.The code should find vulnerable functions...
sir, i want to know the best instituite for MAT exam coaching. And one more thing i am a Btech Mechanical student.Completed my graduation in 2014. now i am willing...