M.Tech Admission Without GATE & Colleges To Apply

A large number of engineers apply for the GATE (Full Form: Graduate Aptitude Test In Engineering) exam for the M.Tech studies every year. The big fight is for getting admission into the ivy league colleges for GATE because they ensure placements and better future prospects. But I see that several people are searching for ways to get M.Tech admission without GATE score. The good news is that there indeed are colleges where you can study MTech, without going through GATE.

I've compiled following list of colleges. I've not verified it; but would appreciate inputs from fellow CEans whether the list holds valid -

• Jamia Hamdard University, Kamdard Nagar, Delhi
  • Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, Kashmere Gate, Delhi
  • Department of Environmental Biology Delhi University, Delhi
  • Jawahral Nehru University(JNU), School of Environmental Sciences, New Delhi
  • Aligarh Muslim University, Zafarabad Road, Jaunpur
  • Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University, Agra
  • University of Rajasthan, Jaipur
  • Anna University, Guindy, Chennai-600025
  • Bharathiar University, Coimbatore
  • Cochin University of Science and Technology, Kochi
  • Tamil Nadu GD Agricultural University, Coimbator
  • University of Jammu, Jammu
  • Awadh University, Faizabad-224001
  • College of Science,GITAM University,Andhra Pradesh
  • Institute of Environment Education And Research,Bharati Vidyapeeth,Maharashtra
  • Fergusson College,University of Pune
I'd also appreciate if someone can post the criteria for seeking admission to the above colleges. Do they look for engineering semester scores or something else? Also, how are the placement records and careers prospects if you do M.Tech from the colleges listed above?

Replies

• Smell Smoke
    Smell Smoke
    Hi All,
    I too wanted more information about the same. But not much is available.
    When i enquired with one of my friends, he said that it can be done by simply sending application form to the colleges. In the form there will be a place for NON GATE candidates as well, it seems. By ticking that section, we will be eligible for Non Gate entry. Our Engineering marks probably will be taken for getting an admission after that(Am not sure about that).

If anyone has insights into this, Please post it here
  • avii
    avii
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Also, how are the placement records and careers prospects if you do M.Tech from the colleges listed above?
    Except few colleges, placements from non-IIT/NIT colleges is not so good. It will be again same like after BTech [3-3.5LPA]

You can add BITS to the list. They conduct their own entrance & GATE is not required. And placements are also good. Last time I checked average package was something around 8-9LPA

Secondly, IIIT-H. Even this also has average package for MTech around 9 lakhs.

Though I am not sure about these figures.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Going by the title of the thread, here are a few useful inputs.

Sponsored Candidates:

If you are working in industry for over three year and can prove that your employer is ready to allow you to go to study by letters from authority, you can apply under this category.
    There are few seats reserved under this category in both IITs and NITs.

Quality Improvement Program (QIP):

This is initiated by Govt. of India to improve the quality of teaching staff in state colleges by giving them a chance to attend India’s top most engineering schools. All the faculty members with three years plus experience are eligible for this.

Part Time Master of Engineering:

Few State universities offer this program with the condition that student must live within the some distance (for example 30KM) radius from universities. Class usually conducted in evening and weekends.
  • avii
    avii
    AbraKaDabra
    Going by the title of the thread, here are a few useful inputs.

Sponsored Candidates:

If you are working in industry for over three year and can prove that your employer is ready to allow you to go to study by letters from authority, you can apply under this category.
    There are few seats reserved under this category in both IITs and NITs.
    Any idea how this process exactly works ? You sure GATE score required ?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    avii
    Any idea how this process exactly works ? You sure GATE score required ?
    From what information I got, GATE score is NOT required. I hope I was clear enough in the first post.

For example, you can check the IIT Madras site here: Website. #-Link-Snipped-#
  • avii
    avii
    AbraKaDabra
    From what information I got, GATE score is NOT required. I hope I was clear enough in the first post.

For example, you can check the IIT Madras site here: Website. #-Link-Snipped-#
    From that link, it says that either has to be working in a R&D project recognised by DST or in any AICTE approved engineering college.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Wondering if this information is true. Just read it in a news about IIT Madras.

If you are an IIT Graduate with a B.Tech degree and have a
    CGPA of 7.5 and above for SC/ ST and
    CGPA of 8.0 and above for others
    you can apply without GATE score.

Here's a question -
    If one has done a BE/ B.Tech degree from AICTE recognized engineering colleges with 60% aggregate marks in all the four years, is the GATE score needed or NOT?
  • avii
    avii
    You actually think a IIT grad above 7.5 CGPA pursue MTech?
  • PuneetVerma
    PuneetVerma
    1. IIIT Hyderabad
    2. IIIT Bangalore
    3. IIIT Gwalior
    4. Jadhavpur University
    5. BITS Pilani
    6. JNU Delhi
    7. ISI Kolkata
    8. DU South Campus
    9. BIT Meshra
    10. Nirma Institute of Technical Gujrat
  • amit_pawar242
    amit_pawar242
    Dear Sir,
    Thank you for blog.
    I am a graduate of 2012 in Mechanical Engineering. From past two years I am working in Pvt Company and my salary package is also good (4, 32,000 P.A.) but I feel something is missing in my life and I want to do big in my life. So I decided to try for GATE-2015 but I am from middle class family so I can’t quite job and prepare for GATE full time, so I joined weekend coaching classes also. From last 2 weeks I am going to class am studying 3-4 hrs every day. But I am an average student so I didn’t get confidence that I can clear the GATE so my mind is changing now, n I am thinking to stop coaching classes. Please sir help me, Is it possible to Crack GATE with doing 8-9 hr Job???? And after GATE also I have only one option PUS’s, I can’t stop earning money (Family Issues).
    So Sir please suggest is it possible to crack GATE with Good Marks (for PSU) with doing job??? N what should i do for that????? Or shall I concentrate on my Job only.
    Please suggest me.
    Thank you in advance.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I am not sure why this post got missed, but if anyone is still looking for an answer with the same question as above, Here's my answer:

Thousands of students attend their college full time, participate in extra-curricular activities, join tuitions, pursue their hobbies and still find time to prepare for GATE. Though I won't go as far as to say that the stress levels of those having a job and students are the same, but the amount of time left at the end of the day is pretty much the same. If you are serious about cracking GATE while working, I am sure it's do-able!

You can join weekend classes to hone your skills in certain subjects you find difficult. Find a friend to discuss the topics you don't understand, actively participate in online forums that offer GATE study groups and keep thinking of bettering your knowledge all the time.

Remember that there's no option to hard work, as you are trying to tackle to important things at once.

Also, if you've already taken the GATE exam once and haven't done well, you can start looking for M.Tech Admissions in the above mentioned colleges that do not require a GATE score.

PS: I will update the post with details on 'eligibility criteria' for applying to these colleges.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Anyone has any idea about the IIIT M.Tech Admissions? I heard they conduct their own exams and applicants don't need to have a GATE score. Anyone preparing for 2016?
  • PuneetVerma
    PuneetVerma
    Yes. IIITs normally admit on basis of their own test. Here are links following institutes.

#-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Hello people, here's all the new information I've found out about M.Tech without GATE Scores.

IIT Gandhinagar
    Candidates applying for the regular M.Tech. programme and who are sponsored by their employers do not require GATE score and can be considered as sponsored candidates.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

IIT Hyderabad
    Candidates will be selected through their own written examination and personal interview. Valid GATE score is desirable but not essential.

NITTTR (National Institute of Teacher's Training and Research) - Bhopal

If sufficient number of GATE candidates is not available, Non-GATE candidates will be considered for the admission for vacant seats in the GATE category only.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

NIT Durgapur
    For Part-time, sponsored and self-sponsored candidates (without stipend)
    Admission is made through admission test and viva voce conducted by different departments in NIT Durgapur.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

NIST - National Institute of Science and Technology Berhampur, Odisha
    Non-GATE candidates having a minimum of 60% in aggregate OR CGPA of 6.5/10 at B.Tech./B.E level can also apply.
    www.nist.edu

There are tons of other private colleges that accept admission to M.Tech and M.E. colleges without a valid GATE Score. Some don't even want you to take the test, while some want that you attempt the GATE exam once.

If you have questions about admission to M.Tech colleges in particular cities, please ask below.
  • Ryan_VLSI
    Ryan_VLSI
    Hi,

IIT Delhi / DTU conduct their own Entrance exam for part time candidates.
    Can you help with the syllabus of these entrance exams ? Looking for EC stream.

Thanks ,
    Ryan
  • Juber
    Juber
    dear mam,
    I want to take admission for MTech without Gate examination and by part time education .please suggest colleges in Mumbai
  • ash yd
    ash yd
    I want to take admission in MTech without gate examination and I have 3 backlogs in 3rd and 7th sem in BTech. Can you please suggest me I am able to get admission in this year or not. and which colleges ? please reply me fast.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

dpfc is a fact device which is in under research!!!!!i want to know whether DPFC is in use in the current trend as i am going to do the project...
When people say listening to music is their hobby - they mean that they 'let the music play in the background' when the mind is busy doing something else. So...
We've engineers from almost every engineering discipline and I think we can take up this interesting exercise - completely online! The plan is to design a perfect home! There's no...
Last year, it was widely believed that Mukesh Ambani led Reliance will launch 4G services in India and disrupt the markets with their pricing plans. However, Airtel took a lead...
Snapdeal and Mahindra have partnered to sell the 2-wheelers online. I'm not sure how many buyers will be there for online booking of 2-wheelers; but this definitely is a big...