Lithium Metal Anode With A Mesh Of Hollow Carbon Nanospheres To Boost Battery Power

Batteries with Lithium metal anode is what the modern electronics demand to be more powerful to serve all your future electronic empire. A team of researchers from Stanford University has submitted the findings of their study in the Nature magazine, saying that such batteries have more energy storage density than the currently popular lithium ion batteries. The research team focused all the efforts on developing a battery with lithium metal, silicon and tin as materials for anode while sulphur and oxygen for the cathode.

Lithium-Metal-Battery

Lithium is one of the most preferred material for the anode because it has the highest specific capacity of 3,860 mAh g–1 along with the lowest anode potential. The lithium anode forms material deposits over the surface reducing the overall efficiency of the battery. The latest technological advances, however, were able to slow down the process of deposition. The researchers showed that a mesh of hollow carbon nanospheres allows isolation of the deposits and facilitates creation of a stable, solid electrolyte interphase.

The overall effect is that the coulombic efficiency improves to about 99% for over 150 cycles. In traditional batteries, this count is less than 100 cycles. Researchers say that such batteries would be significantly cheaper to manufacture and also impact grid-scale storage of energy. Read more about the research on the source link.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I want to know which are the most unbiased media houses in India and the World. They may be newspaper, Electronic media or any Radio channel or blogs etc. This...
Sir, I'm working as a Manual Tester for 1.3 yrs and love my job. But I'm interested in Penetration Testing. My doubt is if I plan to do a course...
Flipkart will announce $1 billion in fresh funding from its old investors - Tiger Global, DST Global, Accel Partners and others; making it the biggest round of funding EVER by...
need a book to study basics of civil engineering. moments,stress,forces,materials,etc. can anybody please suggest a relevant book.
Name: Bhargavi Kulkarni *Engineering Trade: Computers Location: Mumbai *Occupation: Working as Web Tester (Manual) Work Experience: Worked as an Application Tester *Hobbies & Interests: Reading(No other option fr a student,...