Linus Torvalds's Talk At LinuxCon

I am going to copy-paste the content from #-Link-Snipped-#for the people who really hate clicking the links. (I know how you feel, when someone puts up the link & says "Read this" )

Linux Kernel Development :
One of the first questions that Torvalds was asked was about how easy or hard it is to actually get involved with Linux kernel development.
-> "We have an amazing amount of developers, and in some respects it is hard to get involved," Torvalds said. "In other respects, of all the open-source projects that are out there, it is easier to get involved in Linux because there is so much to do."
Hardware Innovation's Future :
Torvalds considered that hardware innovation might at some point slow down. He said he's interested in seeing how the industry will react when Moore%27S Law no longer works. In his view, it's just a matter of physics with how far silicon innovation can go.
-> "The reason why Linux runs well on cell phones is because cell phones grew up, and they are thousands of times more powerful than the original machine I used to build Linux," Torvalds said. "People like to pay lip service to Moore's Law, but in 10 years it will be really tough."

Virtualization is a direction that many in the hardware community are taking, but it's not an area of interest for Torvalds.
-> "I don't' want to have anything to do with virtualization stuff," Torvalds said. "I want to run on hardware; I'm a real man."
NSA :
Torvalds was also asked if he had ever been approached by the U.S. government to insert a backdoor into Linux.
-> Torvalds responded "no" while shaking his head "yes," as the audience broke into spontaneous laughter.
On Being A Developer :
During the session, Torvalds also explained why he became a developer in the first place. He said that when he started, he didn't have money to run Unix on his own machine. He also noted that his friends were playing games on their computers that he couldn't afford, so he had to learn to program.
-> "Necessity made me try to do something," Torvalds said.

While Torvalds has a full life outside Linux, it is at the core of his existence, he said.
-> "I don't see any project coming along being more interesting to me than Linux," Torvalds said. "I couldn't imagine filling the void in my life if I didn't have Linux."

Replies

• Pensu
    Pensu
    I liked the part about Moore's law. It would be interesting to see how hardware people are going to respond once we reach the limit. And dude, I am telling you he is going to divide developers between virtualization people and "real man".....๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Pensu
    I liked the part about Moore's law. It would be interesting to see how hardware people are going to respond once we reach the limit. And dude, I am telling you he is going to divide developers between virtualization people and "real man".....๐Ÿ˜‰
    World beyond Moore's law is really much awaited and we have several products attempting that scale

Soon we will see Nano pass by and Pico tech come into play. Moving with electron's orientation approach looks promising hope it clears all loop holes
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    @#-Link-Snipped-# I heard,IBM got KVM running on PowerPC. Is it true ?
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Yup......just a few weeks ago. And LTC India played a big part in it......๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    My all eyes on last announcement in LinuxCon. Something awesome is coming, I am sure.

Have you watched 45 min video of Linux kernel panel with Linus,Sarah,hartman & Tejun ? Insightful.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    I didnt actually watch the video, but I did read what they said. And I agree, they indeed are planning something. As he mentioned about the increasing number of developers, I am sure it wont be difficult. They just need to open up a new path, everyone will go rushing into it.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Linus pointed one very good point about Moore's law. And that was quite obvious because, at some point doubling of transistors will get stop (maybe in 5 years), you cannot simply miniaturize the circuit as long as you want. There's a limitation of the semiconductors.

Linus seems more excited about Moore's law, because once moore's law will end, you won't new hardware architectures coming out as it now. Hence, Kernel hackers & device drivers don't have worry writing drivers for all latest hardwares that are coming out. No device driver work will remain & entire community of LK will focus in Kernel hacking for performance boost & tweaks.
    Anyways there is no chance that user space can be increased, the hacker have to go for low-level programming for that. but, if it does; it will be miracle.

On side note : Valve's website has countdown of 36 hours right now. After 36 hours Steam-box (with god knows which features) will be announced.
    Are you excited ?
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Yeah, I guess once the speed of hardware development comes to an halt, developers will be able to concentrate more on utilizing it fully. May be, we wont need virtualization then!

Not a big game buff, but I sure am happy that a big player like Valve is turning to linux!
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Update : Valve has announced SteamOS, the new Operating system designed for TV & Living room gaming & that's ofcourse Free, forever! OMFG !
    Read more : #-Link-Snipped-#

And wait, this doesn't stop, the page #-Link-Snipped-# has started another countdown & within two day one more announcement will be done!
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    When I read about SteamOS, I was like man, they took linux too seriously! Anyways, I guess it's for good, a dedicated OS will help them to concentrate more to the development of only one thing.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    They opted for Linux based distro, because it is free & above all it is gazillion times secure than Windows. Valve knows that OpenGL is better than DirectX. (Also many games have outperformed DirectX windows games. eg: L4D )
    Gabe already mentioned in LinuxCon 2013 that Steam receives user-content patches, mods, tweaks,etc. few hundred times more than what Steam developers are coding itself.
    This is one revolutionary move by Gabe. It will change entire PC gaming industry.

BTW, you'll see many derivative of SteamOS coming out soon. I just hope that SteamOS is not debian based (which I think, it will be)
    Somewhere in the dark-dungeon, Gabe Newell & Mark Shuttleworth are planning to nail MS & their evil policies from root ๐Ÿ˜
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Abhishek Rawal
    BTW, you'll see many derivative of SteamOS coming out soon. I just hope that SteamOS is not debian based (which I think, it will be)
    Why? I guess debian based OS are quite good.

Abhishek Rawal
    Somewhere in the dark-dungeon, Gabe Newell & Mark Shuttleworth are planning to nail MS & their evil policies from root ๐Ÿ˜
    Haha....they surely are and MS can see it coming, but they cant do anything about it. Poor chaps!
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Pensu
    Why? I guess debian based OS are quite good.
    Undoubtedly, the largest repository compared to arch & rpm.
    I have soft-corner for yum, nothing much. apt is so inconvenient [for me] โ˜•
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Why always I have these exams whenever something I deeply love is about to launch ?

To be precise, 82 min remaining for next Valve announcement.
    Is it Steambox ?
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Abhishek Rawal
    Why always I have these exams whenever something I deeply love is about to launch ?

To be precise, 82 min remaining for next Valve announcement.
    Is it Steambox ?
    That would be everyone's guess....๐Ÿ˜‰.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Here it is! Dedicated hardware, good move Valve. ๐Ÿ‘
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Pensu
    Here it is! Dedicated hardware, good move Valve. ๐Ÿ‘
    Best feature :

What's next now ? Half-life 3 ? ๐Ÿ˜จ

There are so many things happening at once in Linux.
    Anyways, good news : Gnome 3.10 released & it's very beautiful now.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    If Valve's SteamOS, Steam Machine & Whatever shit that's coming after 5hr 15min, somehow succeeds in stimulating Linux game-development then well, Microsoft you're so dead.... DEAD! ha ๐Ÿ˜

Sony,Nintendo & Microsoft are most worried companies atm.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

From the recent update by Jolla it is confirmed that Sailfish OS is now fully compatible with Android. This Linux based OS is capable of running Android applications. More to...
#include #include int main() { int no; char ch[0]="Even"; char ch[1]="odd"; printf("Enter a no. \t"); scanf("%d",&no); printf("\n The no. is %s",ch[no%2]); return (0); } // in above c code using...
I've been using BSNL FTTH service (unlimited 2 Mbps) plan and totally satisfied with the quality of service. My only complaint has been with the tariff BSNL has on the...
Leapmotion has been making news everywhere since its introductory video was launched. But when people had the device delivered to them, there wasn't the right kind of talk that the...