Life is easy - an interesting TEDx Talk By Jon Jandai

Stumbled upon this nice TEDx talk by by Jon Jandai - a farmer from northeastern Thailand. If you have spare 15 minutes, I'd recommend listening to this talk.

Do share your thoughts below 😀

Replies

• gayathri dhevi
    gayathri dhevi
    superb sir
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    It's simple and nice explanation of need and want. Live for yourself or for others.
    I see some of the comment on video saying, its easy for him because he got land and went back to his easy part of life. But to understand this video one must have seen the simplistic form of life.
    It's my personal observation. When I go back to my village. We don't have to many facility there. Even very less electricity around 8 hours per day.
    But I find faces are happier there. My be there, people don't thirst for luxury or complicate things.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Frankly speaking, I wonder if it's really worth being curious and ambitious (both don't necessarily go together, I know). I can choose a simple life; not needing anything - fancy iPhone, Internet, computer, whatsapp, TV. What the speaker says is right, people spend 30-40 years of their life paying the banks a regular EMI at the cost of freedom.

I personally made a conscious choice of not taking a loan. So far, I've been able to manage pretty well. I've made a commitment to myself that I'll only afford the things that I can quickly buy with the money in the bank; not something that's valued more than what's in the bank.

But sometimes, I wonder if I should really bother about running after stuff. What else would we do otherwise?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    The guy has put a bullet in the eye of 'social conditioning' so well!

Just watched the talk. 15 minutes totally worth it. I laughed out loud at at least 3 different moments.

I have always dreamt of growing our own food and still don't recall a single instance where I have wanted something so badly. I fully understand that I haven't experienced 'the need' to have something because I have been truly blessed to have been born in a family and a society that has given me everything (basics and beyond) without even asking for it.

Now comes the 'chasing your dream' part - I think what he says is really true. We are over complicating things in every sphere of life, be it career, food, health, needs and what not.

However, just for the sake of argument - I want to ask - If a person has a dream of roaming the world once - 1 World Tour, what can he/she do without earning that kind of money? Surely, there has to be a way of making big bucks and lowering all your extra demands for that, is it?

I think that when a person has a dream of building something, producing something of need for the society - a company/a product/employment, going places, - life ceases to be simple - and it happens by choice.

What say you people?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    We complicate things over materialized thing. Luxury comfort become need. Showing off become a need for us. We think we are happy. But in reality, we are sad with this kind of thinking.
    Today I saw a new some Chinese boy try to sell kidney to buy a high end phone.😨 What kind of happiness he going to get with this.
  • alok raj
    alok raj
    Really, life is so easy, if we start to feel it, touch it with its natural colors only. Its life holder only who make it difficult by his own strategy, opinion n way of living. Actually, we start living our life very late, when we get realised what life is actually.
    so, self imagination and control is most necessary.
    thanks

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

SafeMate is a new smart device launched by India's leading digital map, GPS and tracking service provider - MapMyIndia. The SafeMate is a very portable, 50g gadget measuring just about...
Samsung is likely to announce world's first foldable phone as early as in January next year, reports GSMArena. Just about a few months ago, one of the Samsung executives had...
Mark Zuckerberg has announced that Facebook's engineers are working on a 'Dislike' button. The feature has been demanded by many people. But 'dislike' button itself may not be good for...
Quote: Researchers from the University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute say that on-road fuel economy for all vehicles has improved by less than a mile per gallon (mpg) in the...
Quote: The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) says it wants to send a clear message that operating drones around airplanes and helicopters is dangerous and illegal. It also says that...