LG LTE-TDD Smartphones To Enter India - What Does It Mean?

After the winner demo at Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2013, LG Electronics, the consumer electronics giant is all set to launch the new version of LTE called LTE TDD in the market worldwide. Starting with Saudi Arabia, the LTE TDD will travel into Asia i.e. China, India and Japan and later move in to North America and Australia.

Shedding some light on the topic for the un-initiated, let me tell you the basics of what this technology is. Well, LTE-TDD stands for Long Term Evolution Time Division Duplex. It is the version of LTE that uses the TDD modulation scheme in unpaired spectrum, whereby the same frequency channel is used for both downlink and uplink communication and signals are timed to enable smooth and efficient delivery of data. Simplifying it further, we can say that now LTE TDD wil work very close to how home broadband works. There will be a narrow band for uploading content whereas a wider band for the likes of videos and audio.

slide

So now, LG is not just focusing on offering this 'super-alternative', as it is being called, but it will also be bringing the LTE-TDD capable devices (smartphone options) in commercial production in the future. The first in line to feature LTE-TDD is LG's Android running smartphone LG Optimus G In India Soon. Price Update Soon!, which will be initially rolled out on Saudi Telecom's network.

The existing LTE-TDD device suppliers, that include giants like Huawei, Samsung and ZTE are doing already great in China, owing to the fact that the technology has been spearheaded by China Mobile Communications Corp. And the next target for growing the popularity as a next-gen option is India. In fact, according to Yankee Group, markets including China, India, Europe and the United States will account for more than 134 million registered LTE TDD lines by 2016.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    We are eager to know what engineers here have to say about LTE-TDD. Do share your opinions.
  • vikrantkumar
    vikrantkumar
    Ankita, TDD is not new or advanced version of LTE, it is just another 'type' of LTE, in fact with TDD you don't use LTE, it is just 4G-TDD, in India all 4G operator 'Bharti or Reliance (very soon)' chose TDD as type for 4G implementation, and LG's decision is in line with incumbency of 4G type here. Current LTE handset available in market (Iphone/S3 etc) are not compatible with 4G in India/china. Since it is LTE with (FDD= frequency Division duplex)
  • Reality Check
    Reality Check
    All telecom operators are not using TDD. Videocon is launching on the more popular FDD platform. Even the TRAI recommended FDD for 4G rollout :S

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Firefox OS based smartphones are coming. This summer, these phones will be available at select market places for consumers. But don't we all love some free stuff? So, if you...
Wishing our oldie CEan narayana murthy a very happy birthday! 😁 Have a blast, friend! 🎉
It is official. BlackBerry Q10, the 3.1-inch Super AMOLED screened, QWERTY keypad bearing smartphone with the latest BlackBerry 10 operating system (second only to BlackBerry Z10) is here. Snapdeal, the...
Dear CEans, i am new to codeigniter i need live availability code i am using codeigniter. i am inserting values(username,password,email,phone number) by using array . if the email is already...
When it comes to the Indian engineering students and their academics, the only places that they want to get into are the series of colleges under the Indian Institute of...