LG Flexible OLED Display Smartphone Launch Next Month - Mass Production Begins Soon

LG has just announced that it is ready to start mass producing its first flexible OLED panel for smartphones. LG Display, the company which has always been on top of innovation in display technologies, will now feature its new flexible display on a smartphone - LG Flex or LG Z (as it's currently being referred to as) as soon as next month. There have been rumors floating for a while now. Today LG has confirmed that the flexible smartphone screen is coming, claiming it to be a world first. The flexible OLED panel will use plastic substrates instead of glass and will be bendable and, LG claims "unbreakable". LG's new OLED panel will be 0.44mm thin and LG says it will weigh just 7.2g "even with a 6-inch screen".

"Our goal is to take an early lead in the flexible display market by introducing new products with enhanced performance and differentiated designs next year," said Executive Vice President and Chief Technology Officer of LG Display, Dr Sang Deog Yeo. While LG is going big by announcing their device to be the "world's first" , Samsung is also believed to be announcing its first flexible handset this week.

LG_Flexible_Display

Before the competition gets crazier, let us take a moment to remember the flexible OLED screens that have been produced as working prototypes for some years now. With phone-manufacturers predicting that the next generation of smartphones will have "bended, foldable and rollable screens", the bar of expectations has been raised high. However there have been frequent reports that these sorts of form factors are still hamstrung by costly parts and overheating issues. Both Samsung and LG have promised smartphones with curved screens, but these will still be housed in rigid cases.

So, right now, what we know is - LG Display Co. Ltd. has said that it has started production of a six-inch display curved top to bottom. LG Electronics plans to launch a smartphone with the curved display in November, a source familiar with the matter said.By contrast, Samsung's phone will have a display curved side to side, another source who has direct knowledge of the matter said. The question is - Is this the kind of hardware innovation you want to witness? Share your thoughts with us.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    If I didn't make it clear enough - and if you want to know what exactly is a flexible display smartphone?
    Do not imagine a rollable device. The phone's screen wont be really a bending and flexing one. The phone's body itself is rigid. Rather, the display stationary, but curved.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    So the innovation is like my phone is currently straight now it comes in a shape in a curved shape is it?

I dont know the benefits of it except in gaming, since in gaming the curves help especially while riding high speed cars.

I want a screen which I can bend on the shape of my wish 😀
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Well, they seem to think that it will cling on your face i.e. from your ear to the cheek. As weird as it may sound but I think I have seen something like that in sci-fi movie as a futuristic model.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Exactly I am also talking in the same lines, i want some phone which can mold into anything. like it should cling to your face or wrist like a watch or it should expand in length or contract in length a bit.

Like If I am watching a movie the screen should become big to accommodate the movie and normal size for using as a phone and smaller size while using as wrist watch.

practically impossible, we never know..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I had asked this question to an ex-army personnel who was our guide at the Golan Heights in Israel. Israel and its neighbouring countries have been in a 'complicated' relationship...
So I spotted the photo of the old Motorola Razr phone and it made me all nostalgic. I bought it when I was working for a software company and it...
hi friends , My friend's sister tried to comitt suicide yesterday because of some bad vulger posts which were posted on Facebook confessions page. She is an innocent girl and...
UltraHaptics is a new type of technology with a potential to create a revolution in the human-computer interfaces. The system allows users to experience and feel the virtual objects on...
Now the major problem facing by all telecom tower companies is radiation.Lot of issues are registered from India due to this. Actually we are using a frequency range of 900+1800mhz...