LG Announces G Watch R In The Run Up To IFA 2014

Not to be outdone by Samsung Announces Gear S With Curved AMOLED Display, Tizen OS and 3G Connectivity LG has announced the G Watch R days before its official unveiling at the IFA 2014 in Berlin. Unlike the Samsung Gear S, The LG G Watch R runs Google’s Android Wear. The company has taken design cues from Moto 360 & LG G Watch: Two Smartwatches Powered By Android Wear To Arrive Soon and built the G Watch R with a round face. The smartwatch has a circular Plastic OLED (P-OLED) that uses the complete face of the watch without leaving any bezels. While Moto 360 & LG G Watch: Two Smartwatches Powered By Android Wear To Arrive Soon had a 1.65-inch rectangular LCD IPS panel display (280 x 280 pixels) this one has a 1.3 inch display of 320 x 320 pixels resolution. It would be quite interesting to see how LG can utilise the round display to its fullest.

LG_G_WATCH_R_02

Just like its predecessor, it is equipped with a 1.2 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 processor which makes it way more powerful than any of its contemporaries. The RAM figure stands at 512MB and internal storage goes up 4GB. The build quality of the LG G Watch R is surely its USP. The watch has a stainless steel frame and is certified with an Ingress Protection Rating of IP67. Unlike most smartwatches the LG G Watch R gives you the option of using straps of your choice as long as it is 22mm wide and made of leather. In terms of power, LG has bumped the battery by just 10mAh (410mAh) which seems enough to run the following innards for a day. The LG G Watch R has a photoplethysmography (PPG) sensor that monitors your heart rate. You also get a 9-axis gyro accelerometer and compass along with a barometer. It hooks up to any Android smartphone running Jelly Bean or above with the help of Bluetooth.

LG_G_WATCH_R_04

Just like Samsung LG remains tight lipped about the price #-Link-Snipped-# that it will launch the product in select markets by the fourth quarter of 2014.

Replies

• Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    The most amusing thing about the smartwatch is its name, couldn't they have a more inspiring name than LG G Watch R?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

You all might be aware the government of India launched the .भारत domain name yesterday. The idea is people can build websites with domain names in Devanagari script covering eight...
At a time when inventors are trying to make every almost everything “smarter”, Intel has announced its newest chip that can give cellular internet connectivity to any of them without...
Videocon Industries Limited, a large and diversified Indian company, is the first Indian brand to launch 4K ultra high definition (UHD) smart television in India. The five Smart TV models...
I want to pursue an Industrial Training in Java after btech for having confidence in Java and getting good job. Will it help me? or I will just waste my...
For over last 8-10 months, I've never used the internal speakers on my iMac. Why? Because the internal speakers in a Mac can never match the awesomeness of the Audio...