Leap Motion and OSVR join hands to make a natural motion virtual reality headset

Leap Motion is a company that has a proprietary technology associated with it that can track in-air movement of all 10 fingers with great accuracy and the platform supports PC and virtual-reality based experiences. Meanwhile, Open Source Virtual Reality (OSVR) is a standard for Virtual Reality (VR) input devices with their main focus on VR-gaming. It was announced via a press release that both OSVR and Leap Motion are together going to bring the first VR headset that has natural motion control technology combined with display mounted on the head.

Leap Motion’s hardware and OSVR’s motor plugin software will be embedded together into the OSVR faceplate in the OSVR Hacker Dev Kit (HDK). This essentially means that when you wear the headset, you can use your hands as controller in the VR world i.e. 3D output of the virtual reality world will meet the 3D input of the real world. Since it is the first time anything like this is happening, it is definitely a milestone in the VR industry. Please have a look at the video below to see the simulation.

There is good news for developers here too. According to Leap Motion/OSVR, the developers using the HDK will be able to use a code written for a single platform across multiple hardware devices. Those developers who already have Leap Motion VR applications can easily extend them to the OSVR framework. Meanwhile the new developers who are just starting to write the applications need to worry about the basic 3D movements because the OSVR framework consists of a standard set of functions.

osvr_faceplate_leap_motion
Image Credits: Techcrunch​

Developers can make use of Leap Motion Image API via the OSVR Imager Interface available in the framework. The OSVR HDK is highly modular and makes the addition of any kind of new technology very easy. The pricing is yet unknown, but according to Leap Motion/OSVR, the pre-orders for the same will begin in May and the shipping will begin by June.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

guys plse tell me details of cdac exam,and if have any material regarding cdac plse send mee.....................................
After launching two new Windows-based hybrid tablet PCs, iBall Slide WQ149i and Slide WQ149R, the Indian mobile manufacturer has launched a new Wi-Fi only tablet- Slide Q40i. The company confirmed...
Can anyone of you please suggest me about any mini project for 2 year b.tech regarding electronics.
hey guys! what was the biggest difference you found when you'll studied and in the industry. like for instance, im a noob! lol i've just started working and when i...
hey guys! what was the biggest difference you guys found when you'll studied and in the industry. like for instance, like you'd expect a single reinforced beam would only have...