Laser Printed Aircraft "SULSA" a UAV Can Revolutionize Aircraft Design Economics

Engineers at University of Southampton have designed and tested the Southampton University Laser Sintered Aircraft aka SULSA. This unmanned air vehicle (UAV) could bring a new revolution to the economics of aircraft design. SULSA is world's first 'printed aircraft' and all of its structure, including wings, controls and access hatches have been printed using EOS EOSINT P730 nylon laser sintering machine. It's important to note that no fasteners were used in assembling the aircraft. The final structure was built by  using the 'snap fit' technique. This technique allows assembling the aircraft within minutes.

#-Link-Snipped-#
SULSA: Credit: Southhampton University

The SULSA has 2 meter wide wingspan and it's entirely an electric powered aircraft. SULSA is capable of flying at top speed of 100 mph. The plane remains silent in the cruise mode and it's also equipped with an auto-pilot mode specially designed for the aircraft by Dr Matt Bennett, one of the team members. Laser sintering offers many advantages over the conventional aircraft parts manufacturing techniques. The technique also cuts down the time of development of aircraft from design to first flight by several months, as it allows aircraft to be conceptualized and flown in  just few days. The project is being led by Professors Andy Keane and Jim Scanlan of the Southhampton University.

More: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Well, frankly speaking, I'm one of those self-obsessed guys who loves to take self-portraits and upload it on some social networking site in a hope to receive a few "likes"...
BMW's Eco-friendly ‘i’ Concept family's first cars - the all-electric car i3 and the hybrid supercar i8 have been unveiled. The BMW i3 Concept, also called as the MegaCity Vehicle...
If there is any problem associated with the implementation of Solar energy, then it is the unreliable nature of a typical solar day. Sun does not shine continuously. The heat...
The third 'Humble Indie Bundle' has incurred over 105,000 purchases in barely under 17 ho
Purdue University scientists have successfully created an ultrapure material with unique properties that can capture new states of matter. The material so developed is governed by the mutual interactions between...